Carbon dosing - method testing started

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by steve wright, Mar 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Lol, that is just what I was thinking. ;D

2. Click Here!

3. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Wow, that's interesting that it died off that much. Good luck though, Steve, I have faith you can grow some nuisance algae ;D

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Thanks Matt

the irony that I paid for algae has not escaped me
    may have to swap the power heads out for smaller models until algae takes a firm grip, as my power heads are smothered in the stuff, but the rockwork is sadly looking very clean.

2 people like this.
  5. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I find it kind of ironic that we are upset by the fact that the algae wont take hold and grow so that you continue with your testing seeing as we are always trying to get rid of the algae lol. This really doesn't make since to me why the algae will not grow.

6. heidimi

heidimi Fire Shrimp

Steve Wright, WOW this is a fantastic thread. I have been taking my time over the last couple days reading it. I currently only dose MB7 (did vodka and MB7) but cut the vodka after a crazy awful bat with dinos then cyano. Now that the bad bacteria are under control I have been considering starting the vodka dose again but after reading this I am thinking I may save up and get a pellet reactor set up. Thank you so much for doing this research to better our hobby. :)

Heidi

1 person likes this.
  7. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Steve, you've convinced (and you will more in the future for sure) a lot of people to go BioPellets route (Im one of them). I started to dose Micorbacter7 as well.

8. Click Here!

9. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

thanks Steve, great test, i don't see how you can get any better then that

10. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

I seem to remember being slightly amused the first time around as to how hard it was for you to get the algae to bloom.

I'm still amused ;D

11. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

this is the best post ever steve man u rock. i have called for biopellets and rowaphos along with activated carbon for my 2year old setup since iv been batteling with algae probs, and i think im on the right track. well try to use gfo with act. carbon, see what happens. (mr. saltwater uses gfo with carbon)

12. Thor

Thor Coral Banded Shrimp

Yeah, I find it funny as well. Us noobs have no problem growing unwanted algae, and then go through the frustrating process of learning how to get rid of it. You, as an experienced salty, seem to have "forgotten" how to grow it.

I think it really says that your husbandry practices are so good and so ingrained that it is counter intuitive now to do it any other way (i.g. the way that would grow algae). Good on ya Mate!