Carbon dosing - method testing started

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by steve wright, Mar 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Yay can't wait to see the algae mayhem all over again lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

2. Click Here!

3. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

If you start a new thread, will you please link it in this one, since I'm subscribed to this one? thanks!

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

thank you malacOda13
    should be another 8 - 12 weeks and hopefully we will have another green/ brown/ red forest

Thank you gabbagabbawill

I will keep it on this one thread, as that way it will be easier to compare results ( using quote feature) from previous experiment

Steve

1 person likes this.
  5. chappy85

chappy85 Coral Banded Shrimp

It seems I've stumbled upon the perfect time to try catch up on your experiment.
    Those final images are fantastic and I will definitely be getting some biopellets for my new system.
    thank you steve, i'm sure this thread will be a reference point for quite some time to come. if theres any sort of foundation to help fund this project please let me know as i'd love to contribute (i havent had time to go back over all the pages just yet if anything has been mentioned already sorry)
    keep up the good work!

6. steve wright

thank you Chappy85
    I look forward to following along with your experiences of the pellets
    there is no foundation , but one way you and everyone else can contribute
    is to keep posting your own experiences with any aspects of the hobby on this site
    and that way the pool of knowledge increases and the site continues to increase in membership, from people Googling for information and hitting on a 3 reef thread

Steve

7. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Im having the same prob..0 nitrates and 0.02 phos w/out GFO and 0 with GFO(hanna checker)...but have visible bubble algae and film algae...also,I took my fuge off line in the past 4 mos(macro kept dying off,tankseems to be doing better..what do you feel is going on..Thanks

8. Click Here!

9. Jmblec2

Jmblec2 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

First, this was awesome. Thank you.

Second wish I had seen it 2 weeks earlier. I would have saved 125 bucks, I went the GFO route and have not seen any improvement in my algae issues. Now I am thinking the bio pellet should have been the way to go.

Thanks though!!

10. steve wright

It seems perfectly normal to have some PO4 whilst having test kit readings of 0 on the nitrate
    that is often the case with many people, hence often GFO is used in conjunction with the pellets

Thank you Jmblec2

tanks are currently progressing nicely, thanks to the tap water and 90+ % water change
    the new sand bed has started accumulating diatoms and green algaes are appearing again on the rockwork and the glass

copepods and amphipods seem to have survived the re shuffle in decent enough numbers ( might have a nice side line in bonus wrasse food for myself in the near future)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Hey Steve, I really appreciate this experiment. All the time and effort (and money) you put into this. I have no idea how many people you have helped from the other side of the planet. I am one of them and we all thank you!
    I have just started BioPellet (had to mod the BRS reactor a bit) dose convinced by this experiment, since I have cyano creep and daily algae cleaning problem.

Again, thanks Steve, you are the man!

12. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

This thread is fascinating, pure raw data at its best. This isn’t based on what we think or what people have said to experience, this is the real deal. This should be a sticky no doubt because as being new to the reef world bio pellets just made its way onto my list of things to buy.