cant stop cyano so i want to try reactor now

Discussion in 'Algae' started by skyvern2130, Apr 11, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

I think he says its a bad idea because you are moving a little too quickly. Carbon dosing can cause issues and even promote cyano for a period of time.

I'd increase water changes, run small amounts of GFO and Carbon.

2. Click Here!

3. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

Off topic.
    Your tank setup is virtually identical to mine. Are you really losing 2-4 gallons a day? Losing that much water from such a small system in a day would worry me.

4. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

no its more a 2-4 every 3days a gallon a day at the most

5. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

im just going to let it go for a month as long as fish are happy and healthy im not going to worry to much, if i dont see improvement in like 1-2months ill think of taking a more drastic approach on it and i think im going to lower my temp from 82 to 80 degrees slowly.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  6. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

yeah, thats a ton of evap per day. I have my ato filled with about 7 gallons and that lasts over a week.

7. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

i cant remember the size of my ato container i wana say a gallon ive never payed attn to my evap, maybe my container rly is only a gallon and not 2 then in that case its a gallon every 2-3 days
    Maybe I should take a nap been up since 3 am
    Before I mess with the tank

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  8. Click Here!

9. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

Ok my ato is 1.5 gallons so I fill it about every 3 days since ik the last time I filled it was Monday so a 1/2 gal a day
    But that's off topic. Like I said I'm going to wait a month before I try anything to get rid of the cyano
    I really don't want to change anything and cause more problems then cyano lol

10. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

Sorry to drag things off topic. I think you have gotten good advice so far though (that you have taken) to take things slow from here. If that's your mantra from here to equilibrium what could possibly go wrong? Seriously though, barring any other misfortune, this will probably see you through this with minimal trouble.

11. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

I think another thing I might do is lower temp from 82 down to like 77-78 since I have no coral. I will lower my heaters (ihave 2 25 gallon heaters for redundancy) like a degree an hour to prevent shock cause ok cyano likes warmer water

12. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

If your tank is over 15 - 20g, the temp would actually fall slower than that if you turned your heater(s) off, and 4 - 5 degrees shouldn't affect the fish since you're still in the upper 70s. You might also consider vacuuming out all you can while removing water for a water change as dying cyano will release stored phosphates and sometimes harmful secondary metabolites into the water.