can't grow leather?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Reakwonthachef, Jul 11, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Boywithafishtan

Boywithafishtan Coral Banded Shrimp

I also heard that those types of leathers dont like bright lighting. However, my cladellia leather loves high lighting and grows incredibly much. Nepthea might be different though.

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Mr. B summed it up.If you want it to grow feed it.IME just the particulates left over from fish feeding (as long as that feeding is of great variety) is plenty of nutrition for most corals and all that I currently own; but I really don't care about growth as much as I do color. You will have to find a balance in your system between nutrient import and export.

P.S. With soft corals be carefull what you wish for. :)

4. ubermensch300

ubermensch300 Plankton

Some leathers, e.g.,colt, grow rather slowly, but not nepthea IME. Are the polyps fully extended? As for earlier posts, nutrient poor water does not inhibit the growth of coralline algae, but rather lack of calcium, low dKH, and trace. ALL corals absorb DOC from water, albeit sps at a much slower rate. But you can make the nepthea grow like a weed with target feeding or using some product like Marine Snow by Two Little Fishes. Make sure you go back to using use good charcoal and heavy skimming, be careful if you choose to re-continue using GFO, I have had problems using it. Such as, slow growing soft corals. I now have gone back to using a fully planted 40 gallon refuge with a section devoted to mangroves growing in mud. I have no detectable PO4 or NO4, I have used this system about 80% of my 27year reef-keeping career, with stellar results. Just to note, I've always used DSB systems without a plenum(ticking time bomb). Sorry for so much history, but I am new to reef forums. Vinny is totally correct. It's all about balance, ion exchange balance. Some softies, esp. tree-forming leathers can become nuisance coral, about as unsightly as
    aiptasia, but at least it doesn't sting.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

All corals can sting some are just more potent then others.;)