Can't get Calcium above 360

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by saltaddiction, Dec 23, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. saltaddiction

saltaddiction Flamingo Tongue

I've been dosing CA for over a week now and it will not rise above 360ppm.
    I want to get CA up so I can start adding corals.

Any ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Lots of ideas, but not nearl y enough info to really make any guesses.
    It is not difficult at all to raise calcium, if you add a certain amount, it goes up by that amount. If your heavily stocked, it could be used quickly though, or if you have high alkalinity and/or low magnesium, any added could precipitate out of solution. Also, faulty test kits are fairly common.

So, first questions, how and what are you adding? What is your alkalinity level? What is your magnesium level? and have you tried another test kit?

4. saltaddiction

its a 220g DT with 12 small fish and 1 zoa. ALK is a 12 and has been dropping normally. I have not checked Magnesium yet (need to get a test kit today). I was wondering if that would effect the CA also.

Have not tried another Test kit because I use that same kit on my 30g coral only tank and it shows me 450ppm in that one.

I think the Magnesium is most likely the issue here. I will test it today and report back.

As far as dosing, I have been using the DIY dosing for reef at An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Dosing Calcium Chloride. Works really well and is much cheaper than the normal stuff. Has always worked in my other tanks. This 220g is fairly new.

5. APC

APC Gigas Clam

I would bet the mg level is the issue - you need a good balance between alk/mg/ca to get the levels you want and to maintain stability. Good news is 360 is not a horrible ca level..so you dont have far to go :)

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I'm thinking it must be the mag also since your coral load is so minimal so it can't be coral sucking it up :)

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Your mag may have been the culprit, but now your alk is a bit high, as well; not dramatic, but with insufficient mag, 12 dkh will precipitate cal out of solution. You also don't want alk any higher.

8. Click Here!

9. saltaddiction

ok I think I have it stable now.
    1 - I bought a good tester - Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro Test Kit....
    2 - Started dosing Mg to bring level up...

tested this morning and got the following
    Mg = 1360
    CA = 460
    KH = 9.5

Looks much better to me...!!

10. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Great, glad to hear :thumb_up: