Can't get a straight answer.

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Arcain41, Feb 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i tried some off brand leds and did not like them one bit.i would'nt take chances with lps but thats just me

2. Click Here!

3. Arcain41

Arcain41 Coral Banded Shrimp

Thank you I wanna pick your brain about it.

Where did you get them? Why didnt you lke them? What do you think about Using one actinic just for the great color they have, mixed with T5s?:-/

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I have a buddy who works at a LFS and owns the PFO Solaris fixtures. he has had no end of problems with the lights and servise has been a nightmare.
    He was also the one who told me of PFOs issues with the lawsuit. He can't even get someone to return a phone call or and e-mail.

Plus he was never happy with the lights. They seemed to only grow algae

Now this is all second hand information so please take it for what it is worth

J

6. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I've seen the LED lighting at one of the LFS's around here. I didn't like them at all, I have found T5's and MH give better color.

This hobby is expensive, I deal with it. Personally, I'm not going to spend $2k+ for something that's currently no good, just to save a few dollars on an electric bill. I'll crank the halides until LED tech is more mature. The ROI for LED's would take years at the current cost. Also, from what I'm reading, the PITA factor alone isn't worth it. Just my 2cents.

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I like them but I did NOT like the first generation ones.

He can't get a phone call or email because there's no employees anymore. Pat had to lay off everyone to afford the attorney fees. PFO even took down their web page.

This company doesn't want to sell aquarium lights, they just want to collect royalties. This isn't over yet though. They say they intend to go after moonlights, other companies like Current USA with their LED's, etc.

How do you mount this on your aquarium? Sunbow

It's a desklamp for heaven's sake.

8. Click Here!

9. Arcain41

Arcain41 Coral Banded Shrimp

Wonderful info everyone. I have made a decision to wait. I appreciate the "straight" answers. I dont want to throw money away. I can sink the money I would have wasted on the early model LEDs on some other much needed additions.