Can't get a straight answer.

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Arcain41, Feb 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Well, what do you mean "per bulb". Is that a fixture? Is it designed for aquariums? Something seems wrong about that. Specially listed at 48" bulbs? LED's are small, round bulbs. Right now there are very few LED aquarium fixtures, the cheapest I could find in a quick search right now for 48" is $2900.
    I have heard very mixed results as well. Personally, I would wait till the cost comes down and there is more experience with the fixtures.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That is a pretty deep tank. The clam and coral need good light too. What did the store recommend for that tank? How many LED's? Total cost? Do they have stats like PAR for their LEDs?

4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

Is this a St. Louis store by chance.....cause if it is they did not just take it down, it broke several times so they HAD to take it down

It was the Solaris and they had nothing but trouble.:confused:

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

6. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Lots of patents fail to hold up in a court of law. I imagine this is one of them.

7. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

I think the main problem is it has to be special LEDs cant just be normal ones from radio shack or something

also you said lfs which one? ofishal?

8. Click Here!

9. Miles

Miles Astrea Snail

Well, LEDs have been around since the 70's up to the 90's primarily used in electronic devices as indicator lights. They still make those, the ones you're talking about at Radioshack. The new generation of LEDs including the blue, turquoise green, new amber, white and purple are mostly all translucent and have a better light output, mainly used in traffic lights, small flashlights, keychains, etc..

The ones used by Solaris and other lighting fixtures made to produce a powerful light are called "super LEDs" if I'm not mistaken. They mostly include white, red, and blue, and have a tremendous intensity for their size. Heck they even start using them in european streetlights.

Thing is, they are fairly new, still in development, because those tiny bulbs produce internal heat, (reason why they're cold on touch) but this internal heat can damage the anode part, which can cause the tint to change, hard to stay close to reef light temperature, around 14K.
    That's why IMO, I would wait a couple of years when the reef LED lighting systems are fully developed, and the price lower. I'd say it's still experimental.

10. Arcain41

Arcain41 Coral Banded Shrimp

Here's a link to the fish store. They show all their comparisons to Halide and so on. I value all of your opinions greatly. Before I posted this my husband and I had ppurchased one tube. It is very bright, but I worry it might just be asthetically pleasing and not much use in the aquarium world. If you dont mind, take a look and let me know.
    EXOTIC-AQUARIUM

11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Heck give em a try. They seem to be decent. But like said, they are very new and still kind of "experimental". Let us know. You can be our guinea pig ;)
    How is that store in Sac?

12. Arcain41

Arcain41 Coral Banded Shrimp

Ya. I could do that. I dont think I like being a guinea pig though:-[. I cant imagine Solaris selling theirs for $2,500+ and having trouble, yet some mom and pop store in Sac strikes it rich making these for $160. I think I'm going to buy one of their actinics because the color is unbelievable, and go with the T5's for the "real" deal. What do you all think of this plan?

Oh, the Exotic Aquarium is great. I think their store and employees are stellar. If you want to join us on our next road trip let me know. ;)