Cant belive how GREEN and CLOUDY my H2o is.

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by DarkEarth, Jun 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

Just a thought, pick up one of those ammonia wheels at petsmart.i would still check with a real test kit but at least you can keep a closer eye on it throughout the day.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

The toxicity of ammonia depends on so many other levels such as pH. What's not toxic to a hardier fish my be toxic enough to kill a coral or visa versa.

I think an ammonia monitor is a great idea, I also think having some Prime or equiv is a good safety net as well.

4. Magnett2

Magnett2 Coral Banded Shrimp

Sorry, I have not notcied any by-kills. I have heard that others have said their chaeto started to die around the 7-8th dose but I think that's it. I have tons of coral and have never had a problem.

5. Magnett2

Magnett2 Coral Banded Shrimp

How's it looking now btw?

6. DarkEarth

DarkEarth Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Not much different I havent started the black out. Will probably begin tonight.

I didnt want to start killing off the algae without having some Seachem Prime as suggested above.

So today I purchased a bottle of the Seachem Prime and a small bottle of Brightwell Aquatics "Microbacter 7" product.

If none of this works, I might resort to Algaefix. However I am concerned about the few accounts i've read about it killing fish.

I wonder if its like the chemiclean red algae remover product?

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Please let us know how it turns out.

TIA

8. Click Here!

9. DarkEarth

Okay. I just started the blackout in my 41 Gal cube semi-reef aquarium.

Last night I Added one capfull 5ml of Prime and one capfull of Microbacter7.

Started Blackout about 1/2 hour ago and its currently Sunday @ 1.pm.

Just tested parameters prior to covering tank, Ammonia - 0. Nitrate - 0. Nitrite - 0. PH - 8.4 SG- 1.0255

Wish me luck, sucks I cant find my camera.

10. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Do you have ammonia now, you said it was 0; was that before or after adding prime? If you are worried about ammonia, I probably wouldn't add Prime unless you actually have an ammonia spike. I will screw up some ammonia test kit results and make it impossible to get an accurate reading. Also, no one really knows what the byproducts do, so, IMO it is best left for emergency use only.

Here is everything you wanted to know about ammonia.
    Ammonia and the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

11. DarkEarth

The first increment on my test kit that indicates presence of Ammonia starts at .25 ppm.

Yellow is .0 ppm then as it turns green it goes to the first increment @ .25 ppm. There are about 8 increments on the scale that im using.

Although my test results are indeed Yellow, it is not as bright of a Yellow as I have seen it when testing before. However its nowhere near the Green color of the first increment of .25 ppm. If a scale of 100% was used between .0 and .25. Id say Im in the 15%-20% range above Yellow/.0 ppm.

Although I am now concerned about what you mentioned regarding the false test readings.

Im heading off to work and its going to be a long day I believe. So im hoping to get another test done when I get home which should be about 24 to 28 hours after the Blackout started.

Anybody have any input regarding Diatom filters or UV sterilizers used for fixing this issue?

12. DarkEarth

Okay its been just over 2 days exactly for my poor animals living in the dark :-{

Yesterday (at 24hrs since blackout) I tested for ammonia again with the same results from above. Just over 0.0

Today (at 2 days since blackout) I tested for ammonia again this time testing a bit higher than the day before. My first increment on my test kit is .25 and im not there. Id have to guess .15 maybe.

I am anxious to check on my fish. Should I feed them? I dont even know what the tank looks like right now. If its doing any better or not.

I understand the ammonia rising might be indicating the Algae is dying off.

Should I dose the Prime and the Microbacter? Should I clean my filters in my canister? I have some RO saltwater made up.