Canister vs Power filter's?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by PackLeader, Sep 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Yes and no. I don't recommend a canister filter, but I do recommend using a powerfilter. I use a Whisper HOB powerfilter so I can have active carbon filtration, instead of throwing a mesh bag full of carbon in the sump or in the return of the protein skimmer (that would be passive carbon usage and it's not nearly as good as active carbon usage). Never underestimate the correct usage of carbon. It can save your bacon before you even know there's a problem (toxins released into the water overnight, while you sleep, will already have a lot of it removed by the carbon by the time you wake up).

2. Click Here!

3. makinITwork

makinITwork Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have two canister filters. I happen to be a fan of them for a while. Someone posted "why do you kneed them if you have LR etc" and I mostly agree with them. A proper tank should not need very much (if any) mechanical filtration.

However, mechanical filters can help off set "less the proper tank care" example, too many fish, feeding the tank, not the fish and or some minor mistakes etc (like they do in my case). I prefer canister's since they are hidden, for me, they are quieter. From the back/side of the tank, I just see two hoses going into the tank and don't have to see the "box" hanging on the side.