Canister Filter vs. Protein Skimmer?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by TriggersRule, Jan 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TriggersRule

TriggersRule Feather Duster

I have recently set up a new FOWLR tank, 135gal DT with 60gal Sump built-in overflow and closed loop system. I only plan on keeping agressive fish in this tank such as eels, triggers, puffers, etc. My question is would it be better to go with a large canister filter on a tank like this or a nice protein skimmer? I have heard pros for both so I wanted to ask some folks that I know have a lot of experience in this hobby. Any info for either case will be greatly appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Skimmer is superior by far IMO. And a lot easier to maintain.

4. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

A canister filter only helps with ammonia and solid wastes really. A protein skimmer gets out the smaller things that filters cant by agitating the water and allowing the smaller particles of waste and proteins to get trapped in bubbles.
    I would highly recommend a skimmer with a sump filtration. If you prefer a canister over a sump then go with that and a skimmer. If you cant have both at the moment, make it a skimmer first and then add your filter later.

5. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

run both...

6. TriggersRule

Would like to eventually but that doesn't fit the current budget unfortunately, spent much more setting up this tank than I anticipated.

7. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I don't really know about canister filters, but I know that everyone says protein skimmers are really important....

8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Canister filters and protein skimmers are two different types of filtration. One doesn't take the place of the other. If you can't run both, get the skimmer, and get an oversized one if you're going to be keeping those types of fish. They are messy eaters. You really don't even need the canister filter, just run a bag of carbon in the overflow some place or some other place with high flow.

10. Nightstick

Nightstick Purple Spiny Lobster

You are not going to like the maintance of a canister trust me, as for the skimmer its a must have!

11. TriggersRule

I think this confirms what I had already planned on doing, thanks for all the replies everyone... Now I just have to decide on which skimmer to get :-/ I'm leaning towards an aqua c EV-180 or an EV-240 right now.

12. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

For eels and triggers (big eaters and poopers) I would be looking for a skimmer rated for at least 300 gallons.

~Will.