candy cane?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by divott, Aug 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. divott

divott Giant Squid

the fellow im gettin it off of , which is finally tonight , says he never target feed them. just added phyto to his tank once a month. but i also never mind target feeding either , cany hurt.

but definitely am not feeding it any of sparky's suggestions. those are best left for me. coral can have the beans.

2. Click Here!

3. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Kind of mean to feed something beans that's locked in a glass box, in close quarters, with other inhabitants. The fish will be holding their noses ;D

4. SinCityReef

SinCityReef Astrea Snail

I have actually seen that type of candy cane before. An LFS here in Vegas keeps them in stock. They are beautiful though. 10 is a steal! Congrats on a great buy ;)

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

LOL!!!

Seriously, if you target feed, don't use phyto. Caulastrea doesn't eat that. It can feed zooplankton, bacterioplankton, and become a part of DOM which your coral can feed on. In other words, it secondarily feeds the the coral (feeds the things that corals can eat) but the coral doesn't directly feed off of it.

1 person likes this.
  6. divott

divott Giant Squid

ok curt , thank you. guess i will go with plain ole boring mysis.lol

and sorry whats the acronym of DOM ?

7. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I believe he's referring to Dissolved Organic Matter, divott.

8. Click Here!

9. divott

divott Giant Squid

thnx sparky. i tried every acronym , but now thinkin of it , coulda gone to the acronym thread. my bwain hurts.

10. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

you wabbit hunting again?

11. NeverlosT

NeverlosT Astrea Snail

My first reef had a huge candy cane in it, I will try to find a pic to post. Probably 7-8 inches across and almost a complete sphere (it was stuck in the rock with one long stem). I used to feed it by just squirting thawed brine shrimp into its tentacles which it would put out every feeding time. It grew like a weed!

When I broke down the tank, I was going to sell the whole mass, when I lifted it out of the water, it broke in half under its own weight. was much more brittle than I thought. So the guy got two big hemispheres instead....

oh, and for 10 bucks, I would get that coral in 0.005 seconds!

12. divott

divott Giant Squid

im having troubles finding the sweet spot for it. the heads havent fully opened yet. i tried it down low now its mid tank. pretty low flow. should it be in a hgiher flow area?