candy cane?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by divott, Aug 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. divott

divott Giant Squid

thats a terrible shame amcarrig. such a nice piece. did you target feed it anything or just go with phytoplankton?

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. divott

divott Giant Squid

race ya bunner . lol. im 15 away. hes got 2 pieces , 1 with 5 heads, the other is starting to grow a 6th

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

The only thing I target feed is my kid :lol: It probably lived on whatever fish food it could catch and light.

5. divott

divott Giant Squid

ok thank you much. has atticus started to try and target feed himself? lol, thats a treat to watch. lol

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:lol: Yeah, he's definitely mastering the fine art of self-target feeding (which means a lot more laundry and vacuuming for momma) :D

7. divott

divott Giant Squid

now you need a hairy version of him. makes cleanups easy. lol

8. Click Here!

9. dirtydavenkc

dirtydavenkc Purple Spiny Lobster

hilarious

10. divott

divott Giant Squid

just an aside dave , amcarrig graciously named her son after my dog. :D

11. tangopa

tangopa Bristle Worm

My candy cane coral has individual polyps that haven't really fused together like the ones in the first post here...do they eventually grow together or do I have a different species?

12. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

They eventually grow together. My 3 headed specimen is now nearly 6 heads. They don't continue to be separate and distinct. They get that "fused together" look from the continued splitting.

An interesting note, at night, the flesh recedes and all you see is their feeder tentacles. On a round head, the tentacles are oriented in the same pattern as the head during the day (round). The tentacles are nearly an inch long on mine, and beautifully translucent. Well--while mine were splitting (which took months to complete) I noticed that before the splitting was finished, the feeder tentacles came out in a circular pattern. I mean that even though the splitting was still happening, and during the day, the "head" was becoming oval and elongated, at night when the tentacles showed up, the tentacles were oriented in two distinct circles, as if the split had completed--yet when daylight comes, visually, it's clear that the splitting was still in process.

Hope that makes sense. :)

1 person likes this.