Candy cane looking dead! Im going to kill my crab.

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by norg., Dec 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

My emerald crab just picked my brand new candy cane close to death. Needless to say, it is no longer with us. It looks like this...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Is there anything I can do?

2. Click Here!

3. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

ohh mannn. So sorry:( Candy canes are pretty relentless. Give it a few weeks, I'm sure it'll turn around.

4. WuWu

WuWu Feather Star

lol yea , when i bought the 55 it had a coupla candy canes its been months but they all came back and they were pretty much bones , one didnt even show any polyp for a month , I'd say they are pretty much bullet proof

5. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

How long have you had them?.. They look shriveled but mine inflate and deflate all the t ime. They don't look dead anyway. Shine a flash light in there tonight and see if they're open.

6. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

it just added it about three hours ago. Walked back into the room after acclimating it and was looking great, then i see my emerald start picking at it. He left it alone after I chased him away, then I came back like five minutes later and see this.... should i give it brine? the top two heads have tentacles sticking out.

7. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

If the tentacles are out it's healthy. I feed mine about every other day.. give or take.
    Feeding will make it grow faster.
    I'm sure it would love some brine...they seem to eat about anything.

8. Click Here!

9. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

Norg, I think you overreacted a little bit. An emerald crab is not likely to pick at your corals, although anything is possible in this hobby. Since that piece was new he was probably just grazing on the available algae and just upset the tissue. If he was eating them you would definitely know it.

1 person likes this.
  10. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Overreacted, probably a little bit. But I saw it eat it. There are pieces of it torn off. The emerald crab ate it. It will bounce back but I guess this is just a speed bump in its growth if anything. Thanks for the help.

11. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

Yikes, that's terrible, sorry about that. Usually when you add new rocks they will go to town on the algae but if you actually saw him eating it, put him in the sump and take him back to the LFS when you have time.

How long have you had the crab?

12. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

That's weird. I wonder if the crab was tearing it to get some food that was in the candy cane.