Can you use two sumps running separately on a dual overflow system?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by texanjordan, Jul 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

It really could be pretty easy. Just set the refugium up higher than the main sump with an overflow into the return section. Direct one of the overflows, or part of one of the overflows with a "T" to the fuge sump and the rest to the main sump. One return section.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I run my sump and refuge like this. My refuge sits higher than the sump and is drilled so it empties into the return section of my sump. One return pump for the hole thing. My overflow has two outputs and one goes directly to the skimmer chamber and the other was split between the refuge and skimmer chamber. I now use a length of 1/4" airline hose to supply the refuge so that I have around 1 time per hour or less flow through the refuge.

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Wow, that slow??? Guess I need to shut that valve more!!

5. texanjordan

texanjordan Peppermint Shrimp

Wow, I really stirred things up with this question. This is more trouble than it's worth, when I upgrade to a 125 I will keep the eshopps reef sump 30 which is more than adequate for this size of a tank. In the mean while, I will buy a large HOB Aquafuge and run macro in that. When I switch tanks that will just move over too

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

That is a good move. It is a good question but everyone has strong opinions and will argue their points well.

7. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

This would be a good way to go. No issues with this set up at all.