Can you use two sumps running separately on a dual overflow system?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by texanjordan, Jul 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

I agree. I have a dual overflow and two separate tanks. One a sump and the other my refugium. I have the right side overflow split with part of it going into the refugium and flow rate dictated by a ball valve and the rest going into my sump with the left side overflow. The refugium is higher then the sump then has a siphon overflow dumping the water into the sump to return it to the DT. Two separate pumps in two unconnected sumps would NOT work.

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

This is not true. It CAN work; it is just not easy! As I already mentioned, you would need to regulate at least one of the gravity drains to the smaller pump, as well as have floats in each tank which will kill both pumps in case one gets clogged or fails. There are a ton of variables and places it could fail, so the bottom line is, it may be more trouble than its worth. However saying there is no way it can work is not the answer.

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I'm with Servillus, The Rocketman, Grim, and others on this one.

Not many people DIY an overflow and sump more than I have.

They are right, and the others that feel that the original dual sump/dual return design would be next to impossible to regulate, and always needing adjustment. Disaster waiting to happen that way.

For instance in my DIY return/sump design, I hypothesized a scenariio of a small flood in my Family Room .....BEFORE IT HAPPENED, and installed a higher level pump shut down switch in my DT. So that IF my wonderfull, high flowing DIY intank overflow, which feeds my DIY HOB siphon style overflow EVER quit, around 20g would be pumped into my DT before running dry. My DIY sump has no smaller compartment like most to limit the return the overflow stops. So, now with my high level DT shut down, that will never happen in the most rare of cases.
    Kinda long example, sorry about that.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  5. dskyers

dskyers Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

No sense in risking it when u could easily make the u tube and ne safe with one good return

6. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

It can work but will eventually fail = it won't work. Setting someone up for failure isn't what this forum is for.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I wouldn't do it, but it would work as long as the overflows were level with one another and your return pumps returned at the same rate.

8. Click Here!

9. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Which is impossible... two of the same pumps will never pump at exactly the same rate. They will get further apart in rate over time and for every inch of plumbing. The only pumps you can count on to be exact are peristaltic pumps on the same head.

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Near impossible and why I said I wouldn't do it. Plump two overflows into the one sump or plumb the two sumps together and have one return pump.

11. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I completely understand where you are coming from. He asked for how he could do it, and I gave him the correct information on how he could, including the fail safes he would need. Certainly not trying to set him up to fail; quite the opposite actually. But I should have thrown a disclaimer in there that it would be more trouble than its worth unless you knew what you were doing ;)

12. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

You're right, it doesn't seem like a good idea. So I'm using your post as an excuse to try to redirect things.

I just took a look at OP's OP. If we leave the physics debate aside, it may be fair to say his real question is; "How do I plumb a separate sump and refugium. I also have two separate overflows, is their a way to use that fact to usefully improve the setup?"

I have some ideas on how I would do it, but there are definitely experts here I would love to hear the opinion of.