can you bring ich home on snails and hermits?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by grinder37, Aug 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

at my lfs,i wanted to add a turbo snail and a couple hermits to my 29 gallon fowlr,but in the tank they was in at the store,i noticed a couple clowns and a tang had ich,i'm going back today to get some salt but was wondering if ich only goes from fish to fish,or can i bring it home from inverts?If so i'll wait........:confused:

2. Click Here!

3. ChrisBs

ChrisBs Purple Spiny Lobster

all it takes is 1 drop of water. unlucky drop but still you get the point as far as i know it doesnt attach to snails. you gotta get rid of all the water from the lfs man Age of Aquariums - Spectrum Thera A regular 1mm 300gm
    get this food it helps to prevent it IMO

1 person likes this.
  4. grinder37

I'm reading this Ick....help thread also,and see they are immune to it,if i did buy a turbo,could i rinse in leftover water change water like mabey a couple times and be safe?I've never had ich and really don't want to deal with it.Let alone knowingly paying to buy ich.But i have some algea that i want him mow down before it becomes an issue.

5. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

there is a 99% chance that ich is already in your water... its always there, just only arises when your inhabitants are stressed.

1 person likes this.
  6. grinder37

So then,i would be ok to do the rinse thing and not have an outbreak?I did read in the other thread that it's usually in your tank anyways,but i just don't want to invite it in.

7. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

if your tank is not under stress than you should not have an outbreak... unless you bring a new pathogen that your inhabitants dont have a natural immunity to. Most likely this will not happen so adding some snails and such should be okay.

Check into getting some stuff from reefcleaners.org because all of his stuff is very clean and he has great deals

8. Click Here!

9. ChrisBs

ChrisBs Purple Spiny Lobster

it will be in there anyway my blue tang ges it just about every time i change the water or move stuff around in my tank and then it clears up in hours the only way to kill it is to add copper or drop your salinity really low but that will kill your inverts

10. grinder37

Thanks guys,I have ordered from reefcleaners several times and love their products and service,but i have a valentini puffer in my fowlr and he's known to eat smaller inverts,basically,the only reason i want a bulldozer,i mean turbo snail!

11. grinder37

Well good news,i just got back from picking up some salt and found a turbo in another tank that did not have any signs of ich or anything,all fish,shrimp,etc. looked really good.They also quarantined the bad tank,which looks far worse today.But unfortunatly the guy that fished the snail out got bit by the snowflake eel that was under the rock the snail was on.But it didn't break the skin.

12. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

nasty! dont they have tons of bacteria in their mouths that can be infectious? hope hes okay!