can u keep all corals with a 4 bulb T5 Light Fixture on a 75 gallon?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by texanjordan, Nov 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. texanjordan

texanjordan Peppermint Shrimp

Like my title says, Can you keep LPS, SPS, Clams ETC in a 75 gallon aquarium with a T5 HO 4 bulb system? This is what I am looking at:

AquaticLife 48" T5 HO 4 Lamp Fixture w/ Lunar Lights
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Our Price (price includes free shipping!) $369.99

Stock Status:In Stock
    [​IMG]
    Availability:: Usually Ships in 1 to 2 Business Days
    Product Code: RAL01037
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Description [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]The AquaticLife 48" T5 HO 4 Lamp Fixture w/ Lunar Lights combines 420/460 nm Actinic lamps, 700+ nm (10K daylight) lamps and 4 Lunar lights in one streamlined unit—controlled by a built in digital timer. The AquaticLife 48" T5 HO 4 Lamp Fixture is for reef aquariums. Please visit our Lighting Chart page to identify the best light for your particular reef aquarium.

Features:
    • Additional Photos
    • TWO 54W 48" 420/460 nm Actinic lamps, TWO 54W 48" 700+ nm (10K daylight) lamps and FOUR 1W Lunar lights
    • Three channel digital timer controls all three types of light (Actinic, Daylight and Lunar) independently
    • Two fans
    • Mounting legs (frame mounts) included
    • German-made specially angled reflector maximizes light by directing it into the aquarium
    • Suspension Ports allow connection to optional cables for various mounting configurations (cables not included)
    • Dimensions without mounting legs (frame mounts): 48" X 10.75" X 3.5". The mounting legs (frame mounts) will add 2.5" to the height of the light.
    Replacement Parts
    Accessories

2. Click Here!

3. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

I wouldn't see why not. I kept lps and a few sps in my 90 with 4 t5s. I'm sure you will be fine.

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Yes, but you may be limited in your placement. SPS in the upper bit, LPS mid to lower, softies lower, and clams (they're not a coral..) depend on species.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Yes, just replace the stock bulbs in 3 months or so with high quality bulbs.

6. offensetaken

offensetaken Montipora Digitata

^^ Agreed with above post. I would replace those bulbs before you do any SPS. Those bulbs will work for softies and most LPS but for SPS I would get bulbs with higher PAR values. ATI, UVL, and Geismann are great bulbs and perferred by a lot of reefkeepers.

7. texanjordan

good to hear, this fixture seems pretty price effective. and if it will work i dont see paying an extra 150 for the 6 bulb fixture

8. Click Here!

9. offensetaken

offensetaken Montipora Digitata

Yes, they are a pretty good fixture. There are a few others on here that run the same lighting.

10. texanjordan

never run T5 lighting before, how do you know what bulbs to replace the stock ones with?

11. DARKHAVEN

DARKHAVEN Astrea Snail

I'm running the 48'' on my 55gal, have to say it is a pretty nice fixture. my softies are doing great under it havent picked up any sps yet so cant say yay or nay there

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Buy ATI, UVL, Geisemann, Aqua Science and KZ brand bulbs. They have the best PAR and longest lives. You will most likely need to experiment to see what color of bulbs you like. I would suggest avoiding using more than one pure actinic bulb if you decide to have SPS coral.