Can somone help me

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by giopimentel, Aug 24, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. giopimentel

giopimentel Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Anyone have any plans/diagrams for a DIY wet-dry sump. Im going to be using a 20 Long with an overflow on my display tank. I just basically want to be able to put my skimmer and heater in the sump + the bio-balls. I may have to get a 20 High tank for this to work. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2005
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. hexus0

hexus0 Astrea Snail

well i heard that bio balls are can trigger nitrates, and it causes more unessassary maintenence.. just a rumor i duno, thats why i went with SUMP/ FUGE combo.

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I also have a sump/fuge combo. The issue with bioballs, is, that if you use them partially submerged, the process out ammonia to nitrites, and nitrites to nitrates extremely well. BUT, the do not process nitrates into nitrogen gas, like LR or DSB's.

If you are going to run a FO system, it is not generally an issue as long as you keep up with your water changes. In a reef tank, different story. You want to achieve as close to zero nitrates as possible. So you may wish to incorporate a denitrating filter, or DSB, or fuge instead of wet/dry. :)

5. Michaelr5

Michaelr5 Coral Banded Shrimp

If you want an Idea for a nice sump/fuge design check Chris Jones's design at this link. Chris's Fuge This is what I started with in designing mine. It is based on a 29G but just change the dimensions to match your 20. :)