Can someone identify this coral/anenome?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by bec23, Jul 28, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Oh yeah! I wasn't disputing 'what animal' it was, just that it may not be poop :-/ but a more dire situation. When in come to taxonomy, "not my bag , baby" ;)

Perhaps a lighting upgrade may be necessary to help out, that was all I was going for here.....I defer to all you more experienced reefers, for sure ;D ;D

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

BL,

I'm sure we have had the mouth/anus discussion before LOL Weren't you listening? :)

John

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

OK then LOL

In a land far, far away, lived a mouth and an ................

John

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

[smiley=toilet.gif] [smiley=toilet.gif] [smiley=toilet.gif]
    [smiley=yelrotflmao.gif] [smiley=yelrotflmao.gif] [smiley=LolLolLolLol.gif] [smiley=LolLolLolLol.gif]

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

.............. and they lived happily ever after :)

Good night ;-)

8. Click Here!

9. bec23

bec23 Plankton

Thanks for that... I have adequate lighting, and flow, so I'll just Keep an eye on it and see how it goes. I fed it a small piece of octopus tentacle last night and it curled up over it and by the morning it was gone. Anyways thanks again I feel better now knowing a bit more about it.

10. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Usually the brown poop is the coral ridding itself of unneeded zooxanthellae, not a problem from my experience.

To add to what Shawn said, collections of MOST if not ALL LPS is becoming more scarse in the areas nearest the export facilities causing the collectors to travel further and deeper to find what was once commen. The extra depth and distance is quite hard on most corals and becoming more the norm every day. Believe it or not, sun corals and goniapora are the most sustainable corals to be collecte on this planet, to bad they're not suited for most aquarists right now (with our current aquarium keeping trends and technology).

Birdlady, a lighting upgrade is the opposite of what one should do. Its an oveload of zooxanthellae, not the lack of.

11. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Gresh,  Thanks for the clarification :D

I thought the expelling was due to shock (in the case of anemones anyway) and that acclimation and lighting should be used to help the animal recover.....

so they can expell if the light is too bright as well? Just tryin to learn! ;)

12. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Anemones aren't releasing the zooxanthellae when they do that, they are throwing up poop, food and they're organs (if real bad).

Look at it like this:

When the coral produces too much of the zooxanthellae, it gets too much food. light bumps up the food source that its trying to rid itself of, so why bump up the food to even higher levels? That'll only cause more expulsion of zooxanthellae. FWIW, many of my corals do that, mainly my scolymia, mushrooms, ricordia and plate coral. My old scolymia did it every other week like clock work.

You can acclimate and add all the light in the world, but you'll never be able to correct the problems prior to you recieving the animal. You in PA get an animal from you LFS, they get it from a wholesaler, who got it from the exporter who got it from the middle man, who got it from the collector. Any one of those steps something could have been done wrong or went bad. I can tell you this, only 1 maybe 2 (if the wholesaler does) steps of the chain, or the fish/coral/invert even acclimated!! Those problems might not arise for months.

Anemones are really hardy, if done right, but they're usually not. Most attempts to save a poorly shipped anemone are in vain, IMO 99% of the strugglers will die. They should be purged of they're liquid first on a rack, then packed dry, prior to export. If they're keeped at a good temp, they're bullet proof, but if they temp swings or were shipped in water, your going to have a some DOA and DAA.