Can someone explain what surging is?

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by wbodei, Dec 17, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wbodei

wbodei Plankton

It's just a hole. It looks just like the picture you posted. The little nipple at the top of the air intake elbow is a hole.

2. Click Here!

3. szidls

szidls Feather Duster

Hey Bill,
    We set up the same tank this summer. Never had the surging issue. Has the tank been up long? Did you always use the strainer on the overflow? It sounds like Jason posted. Is there anything clogging the air hole on top of the drain pipe? Is there anything clogging anywhere in the drain line? snail or fish? Just want to be sure before you drill the cap larger. I second contacting all glass. Keep us posted.
    Scott:)

1 person likes this.
  4. szidls

szidls Feather Duster

Hey also I believe the instructions did recommend a height to run the Durso pipe at. Not sure what that was as I tossed the instructions. :( Wish I could help more.
    Scott

5. wbodei

wbodei Plankton

The tank has been up < 48 hours. The cloudiness from the sand has not cleared yet, it's that new. I will give All Glass tomorrow when I get home from work after I've played with this a bit more.

6. wbodei

wbodei Plankton

Hello everyone...I wanted to provide an update as I believe my surging issue is fixed! Since I use flex hose from the tank into the sump, there was extra hose, which was curled into a 360 degree loop. This acted almost like an air trap, which every few seconds, would send bursts of air into the sump. By eliminating the loop and adjusting the curves in the hose to be aligned in the same horizontal plane, I was able to eliminate any areas where the water going into the sump had to travel vertically "up". I hung a few twist ties to shape the hose into a downward spiraling "S" shape, and voi la! I no longer hear what sounded like the Atlantic Ocean crashing in my living room. Now I can get on with adding Salt, and begin the cylcling process. Since you have all been so helpful, I'll be posting some newbie type questions in the days to come with regards to salinity, proper cycling techniques, etc...after I've read all the material that's already been posted on those subjects.
    Thanks again to all and happy holidays!
    A very happy and relieved salt water aquarium novice.
    Bill

7. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

thats just the beginning wbodei....many , many, many....etc.....more little adventures to come.....

GL!

Scoffer

1 person likes this.