Can Snails Damage My Corals?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by justonwo, Aug 11, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jeffp1

jeffp1 Plankton

I have the same snails in my rimless tank. I pick them up off the carpet a lot and throw them back in tank. They seem to do a good job of cleaning, but probably shouldn't be kept in rimless tank.

SkyFire likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

Thanks very much!

4. John Koch

John Koch Plankton

As a newbie too, can someone confirm what the fish store told me. I asked how many snail do I need and was told around 40, I have a 125 tank .

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Well in all honesty you don't need any snails in your fish tank. Are you having an algae issue?

6. John Koch

John Koch Plankton

As a newbie too, can someone confirm what the fish store told me. I asked how many snail do I need and was told around 40, I have a 125 tank .
    No algae issues yet, my tank is only been up and running for a couple of months and I'm now adding coral.

7. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

8. Click Here!

9. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Just heads up. That little starfish (asterina starfish) on the snail.. remove it if you intend on getting zoa/paly. They will continue to multiply. Yes they are cool, I always liked them. Others said they had seen theirs eat zoa/paly and to watch them. Well lets just say that was no BS. They will eat your zoa/paly(saw it with my own eyes(must have been a tasty rasta). I was pulling 10+ out for a couple weeks and down to about 5 a week.

Cool looking is not always cool :)

SkyFire likes this.
  10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

There are more then 30 described species of Asterina Stars while some can be predatory most are harmless.While snails can be very helpful I do not agree with the amount most places want to sell. I certainly don' t agree with the amount Reef cleaners suggests. Don't forget these places are selling you these things for money. I would add a few at a time and see if your tank can sustain them. If you start having an issue with certain types of algaes you can then adjust the numbers and kinds of members of your clean up crew.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    SkyFire and chris adams like this.
  11. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Maybe that's why my zoas all disappeared before, I don't think I have any left since my Valentini Puffer liked to eat starfish.