Can small aiptasia hurt soft corals?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Boywithafishtan, Jul 18, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Boywithafishtan

Boywithafishtan Coral Banded Shrimp

Hey everyone. I recently got some kenya trees, and some aiptasia popped up right next to it. The biggest one of them, is probably half and inch across, meanwhile the others are very small. I dont know if they actually can hurt my kenya tree at this size? Do you guys have any experience with small aiptasia stinging these guys?

2. Click Here!

3. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

Yes. Aptasia are very indiscriminate on what they will sting. they likely wont kill it, just irritate it and cause it not to extend polyps in the effected area.

4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

One small one won't kill your kenya tree if it stings it once in a while, but I wouldnt risk multiple stinging it, stressing the coral to death. They wont stay small for long either. IMO get rid of them asap.

5. Boywithafishtan

Alright thanks for the help :) Always wondered if they would just irritate them in that size. Anyway gotta give my tank a new round of Aiptasia-X. I'm gonna kill those guys. Man, hope i soon can get a berghia to eat them all!

6. Boywithafishtan

Alright will do that tommorow :) Luckily, only one of them are close to touching it with one tentacle. Gotta kill all of those little annoying things. Thanks for the help! :)

7. yvr

yvr Skunk Shrimp

I inject TM Elimi-Aiptas directly into the stalk as opposed to into the mouth. I find that the product has a better kill rate when injected into the stalk.