Can salt brand encourage ich?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by luvreefs23, Jun 8, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

Just a question i thought of over the weekend talking to one of the workers at my lfs. He has a 265 with at least 30 fish....10 of em being tangs. Hippos, clown tang, damn near everything but a sohol. We both get fish, equipment, food, everything from fish store he works at and never gets ich. He doesnt use quarantine either. Only difference is he uses instant ocean salt mix and i use tropic marin. I do everything by the book so there arent any newbie mistakes....could it be the salt? I thought it was an interesting theory.

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I dont think so. Remember that all fish have ick, its thier slimely coat that protects them from ick. A well fed fish and a stress-less life will help it from getting ick. Its just like us, we have all kinds of bacteria running all over us, but our immune system fights(kills) it before it can develop. But what happens when we're not up to par, we get a cold, same thing with fish. I hope I made sense. Luna

4. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Well put luna.....

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Ummmm, his tank more mature? --- Water quality in a larger tank tends to stay much more stable.

Salt mix not an issue. Just use more of it increasing amount and frequency of water changes...

Re: "Water Changes/Ex-changes"
    By Anthony Calfo [​IMG]
    (Webmedia.com)

"...Under the best of circumstances, water quality in the aquarium after one month typically strays unfavorably downward in pH. It certainly increases in dissolved organics. Water clarity from discoloration becomes darker, however inconspicuous that might be to the naked eye during casual daily inspection. In heavily stocked reef displays – allelopathic compounds (chemical warfare) between corals, plants and algae amplify. Phosphorous and nitrogenous compounds inevitably accumulate too. The list of challenges to water quality goes on. Now instead of allowing these dynamics to crescendo before reducing them abruptly with a large monthly (or less often) water change, the smaller, more frequent water changes will dull the peaks and valleys of such swings in water quality to minimize the stress on the tanks inhabitants.

Get water params stable and ICK will disappear..."

Good luck.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  6. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

I know what everyones saying, it was just a thought. Im still not convinced the info we have on marine life and chemistry can explain everything, im sure there are some variables we've yet to discover.

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I'm a firm believers that ich is always laying in wait in all tanks . Now that being what it is Also stress will kick start it like with us a stressful few days our resistance lowers and we get a gold then maybe flu even. In that respect I know salt change can start it up as well as simple moving a few rocks around and messing in the tank will.
    I have found that the people who then to keep hands in tank will have outbreaks far more then those who keep out. I myself actually put my hands into my tank 2 weeks a go to scrape coralline so thick you could not see in. And the next day Amcarrig said one of the tangs had a few spots .
    I forget what one as I never looked or could care less :) to much trouble to walk that far and I was tied and sore from the cleaning of the glass . But even a simple change in the photo period will start it.. Only time I'll put my hands in a tank is to pinch the flakes to a sinking glob of food and they are so excited to be getting food I'm never noticed :) Any Change can and will tweak some fish others tame on out really fast and easy.