Can lack of Flow Cause Algae Problems?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by HollyG, Sep 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

I have some brown algae, it looks like hair algae but it isn't green, it's brown. I only have one powerhead and it's a 33 gallon tank (36in. long by 18 in. high by 12 in. deep). It is a pretty powerful powerhead but I do have one spot in the tank that has very little to no flow. should I pick up a second powerhead to point in the direction of the dead spot? can lack of flow or improper flow from powerheads cause an algae problem? All my parameters are perfect, o nitrates and o phosphates so i don't know what else could be causing the algae. I did have green algae in mytank at one time but I was able to fort that out, then this brown algae came out of no where. should I get a second powerhead? thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

You should probably get another powerhead, but I dont think a single powerhead will completely solve your algae problem. Your algae problems have to do with phosphates, you are getting a reading of 0 because the algae is taking all of the phosphates up acting like a sponge for the phosphates. The algae takes the phosphates away, but it grows as it does this. You need to attack the source of your algae problem. If your algae is only growing in your dead spots then it could mean you need another powerhead. There are some exceptions to this though IME. I had a small cyano problem before I got my vortech then once I got it all of the cyano was gone because it could not grow in high flow conditions.
    HTH
    JJL

4. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

hi, Holly algae is a problem that cannot be explained in one area, in my opinion it's caused by many factors not just one, water, lighting type and age of bulbs, chemicals, disoved organic compounds in the water, feeding, bioload of tank, filtration system and the list go's on, these are the things one has to look at to fix algae blooms, nature itself has developed creatures to help in the digestion of it also, reefs would not survive without them, i would have to know all these things about your tank before giving you a good idea of what to do give us a more detailed look at your system and your inhabitants, lighting type and age of bulbs how long is your burn, type water used, how offen you feed and what you feed, size of tank and we may be able to help. i hope this will help