Can ich live on corals/frags?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by SwimsWithFish, Dec 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Will do!

Still waiting for the rock to arrive..... FedEx said its on the truck.

2. Click Here!

3. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I had that problem with FedEx lol. It was on the truck for over 24 hours waiting to be delivered lol. That is why I like UPS, but you don't always have a choice.

4. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Oops!!! Haha I thought I posted that on my build thread. Oh well haha. Im tracking the order online and it said its on time and should arrive today.

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Just to build on what I have already said. I have NEVER run a sterilizer.Even if you could kill the parasite with U.V.(m234 quoted a study can't find at the moment about the wavelength and intensity needed to actually kill it while its in a free swimming stage.) the chances of completly irradicating it would be slim.IMO It doesn't take long for a free swimming parasite to find a host in our closed system.

6. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

This is the perfect time for you to learn how to save some money in SW. By NOT buying something you don't need. UV is a total waste of your money and will be giving you a mental handicap by leading you to believe its doing your tank some good.

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. The Cryptocaryon parasite cannot survive without a fish host. I will agree that some fish may be immune in that they won't die from an infection, but if ich is continuously in our system, then our fish would be continuously infected.

Saltwater Ich (Cryptocaryon) Life Cycle - The Life Cucle of Saltwater Ich (Cryptocaryon)

If you have evidence to show otherwise, I'd love to see it. It would be a Godsend to myself as well as all other SW aquarists. :)

8. Click Here!

9. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

It is still there... and it is still going through the larval stages and reproducing in every one of our tanks. The difference here is that most fish that do not exhibit the parasite are fighting it off easily and the levels of the parasite are held low. On the other hand, if the parasite gets to a stressed fish and the fish has trouble fighting it off then the parasite will reproduce at insane levels. This increase in parasites will then make it harder for your other fish to fight it off. In most cases the outbreak stops with either the first fish becoming less stressed and taking care of it themselves or else perishing... OR the other healthy fish will not be able to fight the elevated parasite levels and will also become infected.

Regardless of whether the parasite is having an "outbreak" or not, it is still always present in our tanks at all times. The chances of fully eradicating it and not having it re-introduced ever is practically impossible.

If I had to guess why there arent any studies on it, I would think it is because of two reasons: 1. all the microbiologists in the hobby already know what I have stated and they accept it as common knowledge because it is what they work with every day. 2. They may not want to make a big deal about it because it would essentially be getting rid of a major myth out there. This would be a pain because many individuals would argue with them and just simply disagree and give reasons why etc.

10. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

OK, that sounds reasonable... except:

With that in mind, wouldn't it be logical to assume that an object from a tank where the fish are visibly infected might cause problems, considering it has the potential to introduce a large number of larvae?

11. Mobalized

Mobalized Teardrop Maxima Clam

I am very curious about this because I am under the understanding that by quarantining all fish you prevent the parasite from ever being introduced into the tank. My one tank is currently fallow right now in order to get rid of the parasite COMPLETELY. If this isnt the cause I would like to know.

12. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

I would be more concerned about adding the water than the frag itself. But regardless, even if it were to have a few larvae in the water or on the frag plug... when they are introduced into a second system, their numbers will count for nothing compared to the new larger water volume.

1 person likes this.