Can ich live on corals/frags?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by SwimsWithFish, Dec 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

I guess I'll just stick to the lfs and pay a little more for some assurance. It stinks because they had Duncan's and candy canes for 12$!!!

2. Click Here!

3. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

seriously, you are perfectly fine getting those frags from that tank.

I minored in microbiology... I know a lot about bacteria, protozoans, dinoflagellates, algae, etc. Your tank has had ich in it since the very beginning but you dont have to worry about it unless your fish are stressed or unhealthy.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yup. :)

1 person likes this.
  5. SwimsWithFish

Alright.... I guess I'll give it a try when the time comes to add corals.

6. SwimsWithFish

Thanks you all your help guys!:)

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

After reading countless threads on this Ich subject I just have to say. I have NEVER had an Ich problem.How do I account for this?Luck?? Can't be that I am the most unlucky person on the planet.;D Never even seen one spot on any fish. (This is not to say it has never been in my system.)I have NEVER used a QT tank.I acclimate by dropping the bag in for 15 min.and let her/him go. I contribute my success to a few simple rules on SW fish.
    1-Never overcrowd your tank. SW fish require alot of space compared to FW fish(species dependant).You have to keep any aggresion to a minimum.Aggresion can take on many forms for fish and does not always include biting or chasing.Simple posturing threats (sometimes physical and or vocal)can be stressful over long periods.
    2-Selection. Never buy anything be it invert/fish unless you have witnessed it eating.(Of course this is hard to do with online purchases.)
    Inspect the specimen carefully.Buying nothing is better then bringing home death. Be selective to increase your odds of success.
    Always research what you buy. Don't buy it if you don't know what it is.
    3-Water quality.Keep up with your WC or other form of nutrient export.
    4-Enviroment. You want to create the right enviroment for the fish/invert you select. Proper aquascaping can help you get the maximum ammount of space out of your tank and keep your fish feeling more at ease.
    5-Feed a variety of foods (After all it is the spice of life) but never overfeed.Good nurition builds a healthy immune system.
    After all this is said and done my point is a healthy fish in the correct enviroment should have the means to combat this parasite on its own. I have had incredibly good luck at keeping fish and inverts. for long periods of time using the above methods.If Ich could attack and kill healthy fish none would survive the ordeal they go through before they reach your house.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

I agree 100% with what Vinny is saying. All tanks have ich. Keep your fish healthy enough to fight it off and it will not be a problem.

10. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I think we are following the same threads lol. To the OP, you are fine to add the frags, but for peace of mind you might want to research UV Sterilizers though. Just a thought.

11. SwimsWithFish

Yeah I've herd people go both ways on the sterilizers. if I get one, I'll probably get the one make for my biocube.

12. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Just make sure you get enough wattage to handle the proper water volume that you have. If you get one that is rated for less water volume then what you have, you are really just defeating the purpose.