Can I keep pipefish in reef nano?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by TheSurgeonSween, Feb 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TheSurgeonSween

TheSurgeonSween Fire Shrimp

I was thinking about buying a dragonface pipefish for my 28g nanocube. It is a reed tank. I heard they are reef safe with caution. I don't really get what that means but do u think it would be good in my tank?

2. Click Here!

3. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

i don't know anything about that fish in particular, but reef safe with caution often times means that there is a risk that the fish could eat or harm the corals in some way.

4. TheSurgeonSween

Well the same fish store that they said that, they had one in there sps frag tank haha

5. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

The Janss was the absolute best. We had one for years in a 55g and a 24g.

[​IMG]

We also had a Yellow Banded in the same tank.

[​IMG]

Won't touch your corals.... any of them.

6. arentspowell

arentspowell Skunk Shrimp

7. TheSurgeonSween

How big do each of those get. I want a pipefish that stays relatively small.

8. Click Here!

9. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

The Bluestripe Pipefish is the smallest of the reef pipefishes available in the aquarium hobby. It has a long, slender body with a tiny, tubular mouth and a round, flag-like tail. The body is orange with a blue stripe on either side running from snout to tail. The tail is maroon to red with highly variable yellow, orange, and white markings.
    The Pipefish is difficult to keep due to its unusual feeding requirements. It normally prefers to eat only live copepods in a mature reef aquarium with plenty of live rock or macroalgae. An ideal diet to start this fish on is Nutramar Tigrio Bottled Live Copepods, and vitamin-enriched live baby brine shrimp. However, live baby brine should not make up the majority of its diet. Over time, the Pipefish may become accustomed to eating frozen CYCLOP-EEZE®, small Mysis, and Nutramar Ova.

It may be kept with small, shy fish such as small gobies, seahorses, dragonets, and firefish. Aggressive, territorial, or fast-moving fish do not make good companions. Pipefish will be harmed by anemones and corals with stinging tentacles or corals that are large enough to consume them, such as brain corals. They can also be harmed by invertebrates such as crabs and large shrimp. These pipefish usually spend daylight hours swimming vertically behind a pipe or upside-down under a rock ledge. At dawn and dusk they can be found swimming out in the open in search of food.

1 person likes this.
  11. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Ive read they are typically kept in there own tank with seahorses for example, or any non aggressive fish. I think people put them in refugiums most of the time.

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

+1, very well put.

If you want a pipe fish you should design the tank with that type of fish in mind.

Not a lot of flow, other very passive fish that do not compete for pods and a abundance of pods with a lot of rock work.

If something should ever happen to my clowns I will be getting pipe fish. They are too cool, but I will not take one on until the tank can accommodate their needs.

1 person likes this.