Can i keep a clam

Discussion in 'Clams' started by MrFolgers, Aug 9, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MrFolgers

MrFolgers Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have a 10 gallon reef tank that has been set up for 3 months now. I really want a squamosa clam but dont really know a lot about clam care. I have 4 24 watt t5 bulbs above my tank and was wondering if that is enough lighting for a clam

2. Click Here!

3. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

that should be good for some sort of clam i dont know what the exact requirments for them are but i think they also like sand so if you get one put it in the sand and not on your rocks

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

For what your looking at your lighting should be adequate, however, IMO that clam is not well suited for that size tank mainly because it will outgrow it relatively quickly. Squamosas get very large, feet across, and a 10gal. IMO just isn't big enough.

5. Nightstick

Nightstick Purple Spiny Lobster

I would say NO for a few reasons, your tank is too small and better lighting would help too! But the deal breaker was in you post, you stated you don't know a lot about clams and your tank has only been running for 3 months. Take the extra time to learn and be patient. If you have ever seen a clam die its pretty horrible and you will regret doing it wrong.

6. Danhodl

Danhodl Flamingo Tongue

Sounds like it sucks

7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Clams are one of the more delicate animals that many of us are enthrauled to have as part of our reef environment bioload. The thing with clams is that they require many different husbandry/combatibility requirements that often times, are not met by the novice aquarist and those with little knowledge regarding these beautiful and unique animals and by those with insufficient equipment such as lighting.
    In your case with the small tank, if you had another tank with which to transfer the Squamosa Clam as it ages and grows, that would be better as stated above they will outgrow the 10 gallon tank rather quickly if conditions are optimal. By this meaning adequate lighting, calcium, alkalinity and magnesium and nitrate levels.

8. Click Here!

9. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

i think he would be able to keep Crocea's atleast wouldnt he? I'd say thats alot of lighting for a 10 gallon and planty for a crocea in my opinion. They dont grow large as squamosa.

10. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

+1. I think your lighting would be fine, but I would encourage you to research a lot more on the requirments for a clam. I have been in this hobby for over a year and just added a crocea clam a couple of months ago. I did a LOT of reading on their care. There is still so much that we don't know about how these beautiful animals not only survive but thrive! And that is always the goal.

11. Mistah J

Mistah J Flamingo Tongue

One of my newbie mistakes was just buying a very expensive maxima clam. It was a mistake because I spent waaaay to much on it, and because I didn't know if I could keep it alive.

I had PC lights on my 10 gallon and that little clam thrived after some trial and error. I even found him (it?) to be quite hearty.

Take the chance