Can I keep a clam?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by mossyoaktoe, Aug 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mossyoaktoe

mossyoaktoe Plankton

Simply put, I want a clam bc I love the colors and I love the filtration+'s.. I just want to know if my system(and myself) are able to handle them.

I have a 135g tank that is 20" deep with a 48" 6 bulb T5 HO fixture. As of now I have 3 10000k's and 3 actinics, I am in the process of uprading these same/similar colors to "higher quality" brand bulbs.

I have good water flow with a back wall top the bottom aquascape with 6-10" substrate to glass area in the front. My substrate is crushed aragonite. Kent marine Nautilus skimmer and a 2400gph return pump(restricted to est. of 80%)

Water params are:
    nitrate 5 (they are headed back down)
    nitrite 0
    phosphate 0
    ammonia 0
    calcium 500
    carbonate hardness 8 dKH
    ph 8.1
    specific gravity 1.026
    temp 81 constant

Can I have a beautiful clam?

2. Click Here!

3. mossyoaktoe

mossyoaktoe Plankton

btw
    new note as to my own experience level, I am a beginner and I do only have 5 months put into this hobby but I am completely dedicated to my tank's well being and I am a good & quick learner so I am up and able for difficult tasks.

4. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

i dont think that you lighting is strong enough jmo

5. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

plus one on that NR15

6. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

you might be able to get away with a low light clam

how old is the tank?

7. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

I would say your tank may be too new for a clam, but the lighting you have is enough depending on where you place it and the type of clam you get. I had a clam under 4x96w pc's but I had to keep it as high up on the rockwork as possible. If you are truely "dedicated to the tanks well being" you may want to wait a while and gain more experience. Thats just my opinion fwiw.

8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I disagree, I think 6x54w T5s are fine for a clam. There are many arbitrary rules floating around this hobby, and ones dealing with clams are among the most popular. Many people will advise you that you need to wait 6, 9 or 12 months before you can add a clam, or that clams need insane amounts of light. While it is true that they are very light demanding, IMO, it matters more as to where you place it and what your parameters are. I added a crocea clam to my 55 under 4x54w T5s about 3 weeks after my cycled was finished and he's still thriving. IME, it's better to try to get a larger clam if possible, they generally have a better chance of survival then the smaller ones, however, again, the clam I bought was only about 1.5" long. So if you feel your parameters are stable I would go ahead and try one out.

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I agree, you should be able to have a clam, i would probably stay away from the maxima clams as they require the most light. However crocea should be fine if you place it towards the top of your tank on a rock (they are rock boring clams) or a dersea which can be at the bottom of the tank on the sand (lowest light requirement)

11. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

As I mentioned in another post regarding the aquarist being able to house a clam or not...What we tend to fail to realize is the knowledge that many of us have or don't have when it comes to purchasing and maintaining clams successfully for years in a captive environment.
    Much of the emphasis is placed on ONLY one part of the equation and that being lighting. Occassionally water parameters and tank size issues are addressed.
    Again, these animals are delicate invertebrates that require special care, which begins with the purchase of the clam at your local pet shop.
    Is it hardy?
    Wild caught or farm raised?
    Is it healthy?
    How long has it been at the pet shop?
    What species of clam is it?
    Size is also a big factor in terms of the clams success in a captive environment!

Then you have to factor in what livestock you have at home...
    Many fish and other inverts may feed on clams!

the list goes on and on...
    I don't want to come across as being negative or upset, however, before running out and buying a clam, why not do some research on these beautiful animals to give them a better chance of survival and increase your odds of being successful maintaining one or more of these clams.
    James Fatherree's "Giant Clams in the Sea and the Aquarium" is a great book for anyone to explore the world of Tridacna and Hipoppus Clams. This is just one excellent media source at your disposal...
    Do your homework before deciding to throw a clam into your tank! Believe me, you will be glad you did, as their is no worse feeling than to add livestock to your tank, only to watch it deteriorate and die within days. That is no fun...
    Good luck!

12. mossyoaktoe

mossyoaktoe Plankton

The system has been running for 5 months now. Water params have been consistent aside from the small nitrate spike that I think was an extended cycling issue on my own part having done too many and too large of water changes, thus preventing my water from fully cycling... Anyways, they're almost to zero.

My inhabitants include 5-7 hermit crabs, 6 turbo snails, 2 cleaner shrimp, 1 yellow tang, 1 blue hippo tang, 1 banghai cardinal, 2 orang ocellaris clowns, 2 black ocellaris clowns, 1 toadstool leather 5", 1 frogspawn 4", assorted zoa frags, LT anemone 6", 1 kenya tree 4", various mushrooms, 1 open brain coral 6", 8" green star polyp.

I would love to be able to handle a maxima some time in the next few months but its looking like my first 1(maybe 2) clams are gonna have to be derassa and maybe crocea and see where we go from there. I guess I can always trade out with my lfs down the road if i want to "upgrade" my colors.