Can I feed chopped Bluefish to my reef tank?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Astrick117, May 28, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Over the weekend I went out bluefishing off the coast of NJ and caught two nice sized bluefish. While I've heard mixed reviews on the flavor of bluefish, I did take the filets home to see if I could make it taste decent.

I have about 3+ lbs of filets that I froze immediately, but I'm not sure if I will be able to use all of it. Do you think I could finely chop some of it and feed it to my reef tank?

I'm just not sure what the "rules" are on feeding stuff like that, as I highly doubt it is normal food that would be eaten by my fish.

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

What kind of fish? May be a nice meal for a nem.

4. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Bluefish is the name of the species lol. As for feeding it to the reef I'm not sure if I would risk it, not based on any factual knowledge just my own opinion.

5. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

Dont feed it to your fish!!!! Eat it all haha its amazing, blacken it on the grill and toast bulky rolls and make a sandwich with it, if u wanna make it even better add some sliced mango, by far one of my favorite meals, other than that the only downside i can see to feeding it to your fiah is if its raw it couls contain contaminants that could hurt uour system

6. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

And by blacken it on te grill i mean put blackened seasoning on it haha not charring it on the grill

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I know, I've caught countless jack and mackerel fish species. I was asking what kind of fish he has in his tank.

The biggest concern of mine would be worms and mercury.

8. Click Here!

9. weems23

weems23 Astrea Snail

I used to feed my tank cut by-catch and never had any problems, but I also care about my coral more than my cheap fish so I probably wouldn't have noticed problems anyway. Also bluefish is okay tasting, but can have a pretty high heavy metal content depending on the area it was living in.

10. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

I am going to give it a shot with prepping it. Some of it I already seasoned with Cajun, others I cut into 1"x 1"x 4" strips to make into fresh fish sticks and the other two filets are just plain right now.

I am mostly looking for another option if I don't like the flavor. I have always liked the idea of feeding chopped fresh seafood to my tank, but always worried about bought seafood because of contaminants from processing. I figured since this was literally straight from the sea, it would be much better.

11. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Ah, good point on the parasites.

Just an FYI- 2 ocellaris, midas blenny, bangaii cardinal, CUC, and zoas, LPS, SPS