Can I add cured rock when I transfer established rock/livestock to a larger tank?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by special juice, Sep 17, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. special juice

special juice Feather Duster

I am going to be setting up a240 FOWLR next week. Here's the build thread:
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-of...-juices-240-gallons-fowlr-glory-149418-2.html

I will be transferring over 75lb of rock and 5 fish from a 76g that has been running for 3 years. I ordered 100 lbs of Fiji dry rock from BRS. My original plan was to rinse it and throw it in. When I received the rock and saw all of the junk on it, I thought it would be smarter to rinse it, put it in a rubbermaid bin with saltwater, pump and heater and let it cure for a few weeks.

So, my question is... When I transfer over everything from my old tank, can I add all of my newly cured rock at once or do I need to add a little at a time?

2. Click Here!

3. gamertag

gamertag Astrea Snail

I moved my 75g when i bought my new house. I added about 30lbs of cured rock at that time to get me to about 100lbs of LR total. there was no problems at the time or in the year since.

i don't know though if the ratios matter where you're adding much more...

4. special juice

special juice Feather Duster

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm thinking that adding it all at once will be okay since there won't be any die-off.

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Yes, as long as it is fully cured, you'll be fine.

6. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

if its fully cured, itll be fine. When we do this during tank upgrades, we cure the rock in 50g trashcans and swap the rock from one can to the next once/week. We pick it up, shake it up and get as much lose waste off it and then move it into the next can. Rinse and repeat for about 3-4 times, and the rock is usually very clean and prepped for use. This helps remove some of the decaying materials from the rock much faster and thus speeding up the curing process.

7. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

Great idea if you can do it. Always just been a big bucket with a powerhead and a heater guy myself!