Unresolved Can disease be transferred from freshwater to saltwater tank?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Greg9MM, Jan 11, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

prima and meta fix

Otherwise known as Metaflex and Pimaflex, neither is truly medicinal but rather holistic herbal remedies.

Treats fungal infections and both internal and external bacterial infections. Will not adversely affect the biological filter, alter the pH, or discolor water. Safe for reef aquariums and live plants. For use in fresh or salt water. PimaFix has been formulated to work in combination with MelaFix to enhance effectiveness against fish diseases.

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

It doesn't sound like your tank it's in peril of you decided to mix new salt water and let it mature for a day. If it was me, I'd be more nervous for the following weeks wondering what will pop up. I'd just use new water for the peace of mind. But I agree with the others that the odds are low that what ever contamination would cross over or be of enough abundance to harm yours. That's my $0.02.

4. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

I already put the water in the tank so i will just have to wait and see.

The problem was that about a quarter of the water from the tank was drained into the bucket and I couldnt run any pumps in the tank without adding water. Heater was also off too and its cold in my house so temp was dropping. If i was going to mix up a new batch of water then the bucket would have to have been emptied and cleaned and then the new water would have to sit for a while.

There was about 30 gallons of mixed water in the bucket and i dont imagine there was more than a cup of fresh water added. The ratio wasnt bad I was just nervous. Also got luck that my whole tank wasn't drained onto my floor

5. lyal

lyal Astrea Snail

For what it's worth, the only disease I know of that can spread through brackish contact is hexamita (I'm sure there's others out there).

Common mistake to think that ich can jump, but they're different parasites.

I wouldn't worry all that deeply; most die-offs in freshwater tanks happen for very different reasons than marine.