can activated carbon be "recharged"

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by tinctorus, Jan 21, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tinctorus

tinctorus Feather Duster

I dont run carbon every day and I typically use the chemi pure elite or another type of high grade carbon/resin mix so I typically get a month or two of use out of it

I may run it for only 3 days a week, I know alot of guys run it full time but I feel it pulls to many of the nutrients out of the system and I noticed that when I stopped running it full time my corals seemed to color up alot better

That's just been my experience though so maybe others have had different ones, I do 2 water changes a week of 2 1/2 gallons each "5 gallons total a week" in my RSM 130 which is another reason I dont see the need to run carbon full time

2. Click Here!

3. redwhitechem

redwhitechem Plankton

You can regenerate Carbon by Microwave or Chemical materials. The reactivation ratio will be around 70~90%.

4. SantaMonica

SantaMonica Fire Shrimp

I have too read that it can be re-activated. Not sure how much, or how easy, but it appears to be one of those things that once you are set up to do it (like making RODI), then it's straight forward. The big step is deciding to do it.