Can a Red Flame and a Half Black Angels Breed?

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by CODEE111, Apr 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Oh the confusion.

2. Click Here!

3. CODEE111

CODEE111 Peppermint Shrimp

I sure will. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

4. CODEE111

Thank you for merging them for me. I'm still new and sometimes I can be a "duh".

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:lol:

6. CODEE111

THANK YOU FOR THE ARTICLE ON THE ANGEL FISH. IT WOULD BE SOOO COOOOL TO HAVE A HAREM OF ANGELS. PROBABLY SHOULD LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE FOR NOW.:stars:

7. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

anything's possible I guess, just look at Monkay & Pigeon :), FYI neither is reef safe, I tried

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. CODEE111

that's way too funny.....:laughings

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  10. CODEE111

Oh NO....More Angel Questions....

Ok, me again, a new issue but could be part of the same post....So I wrote in wondering if the Half Black and the Flame Angel could have little baby hybrids....

I have had a serious problem since Sunday. There is green stuff floating at the top of my tank...looks like little green matter.... and I have never noticed this substance on the top of my tank before. All has been well for almost 2 years. I even wondered if some of the chemicals I had was effecting the top of my tank because they were expired or no good. So nothing has been added since Tuesday and I will wait to add anything until I figure this out.

I have struggled since Sunday trying to get this stuff off the top of my tank, just when I think I have it gone, then it comes right back the next morning. So I'm thinking what is going on here? I spent an hour tonight trying to get it out with a coffee filter inside a small strainer knowing that it would probably be back again in the morning as I have done this 4 times now.

When I finished cleaning the top of the tank again, I surfed Google about the breeding habits of the Pygmy Angel, I came across the breeding habits of the Cyntropyge Interruptus only to discover that that genus of Dwarf Angels eggs float to the top where they are Planktonic. Both the names for the Half Black and the Red Flame start with the word Cyntropyge....

..... Oh No...and I've been scooping them out everyday for the last 5 days as it is blocking the light from my corals and they are not happy about it.

Is it possible this is little Planktonic eggs? I have also noticed most of my fish are swimming around the top eating something in the water that I cannot see and have even watched them eat some of this unidentified green matter.

The article said, if they are eggs, they should hatch within 30 hours and the pair will continue to lay eggs every day until October.

Is this really even possible?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Odds are high they are eggs since the fish are spending time at the top and eating the green stuff. You will most likely need to have the pair in a tank by themselves and then remove them when you see the green stuff to have a chance of them hatching.

12. CODEE111

I honestly believe they are eggs too. I woke up this morning and the green stuff had returned with a vengeance. I took pictures from the same position as last night so people could see how thick this stuff became overnight.
    I checked it out with a magnifier and it looks like little, different sized specks of green and there are small white dead looking objects that the fish are running around eating out the the water. I've never noticed those in the water before.
    Does anyone know of any algae or whatever that sits on the top of the tank like this. I put my arm in Sunday and it came out covered with a green substance that wiped off like oil. My arm was covered in it.
    Do you suppose I could scoop some of the green out and put it in a bucket or fish tank just to save a few. I have so much coral and fish in there I don't think my other two tanks could support them all. Maybe I could set up the 75 in the garage.

Attached Files: