Camren's 45 Gallon Cube Build

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Camkha1234, Sep 4, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

Awesome, thanks Vinny! So it looks like I need to set it up so that it drips 6 drops of water every minute, or one drop every ten seconds, into the sump.

2. Click Here!

3. Camkha1234

So I'm back from Vegas, and I guess Murphy makes it to everyone. It seems like right after I left the siphon stopped, so nothing was replacing the evaporating fresh water, which shot the salinity up. I'm seeing die off on the Wellso and an Echinata I bought. Two SPS frags are completely gone and the Garf Bonsai is barely making it. The softies are doing alright. I'll keep everyone updated.

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Sorry to hear cam. Hope the corals make it buddy

5. Camkha1234

Thanks, Dennis. I'm not seeing any rapid tissue loss since I got home so I guess that's a good sign.

One thing I have noticed is something growing only around my two Zoa frags. It almost looks like Dinoflagellates. I'd like to get some other insight.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403198581.252749.jpg

6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Not sure but I would dip them then clean off the algae growing on them as a precaution

7. Camkha1234

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking. I'm lucky enough that it's only on the plugs, I don't want it to spread.

8. Click Here!

9. Alfie uk

Alfie uk Feather Duster

Did you frag these yourself or did you buy them on the plugs? The plugs dont look cured to me.....?

10. Camkha1234

I bought them on the plugs. Do you think that could be the problem?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  11. Alfie uk

Alfie uk Feather Duster

It would definitely be nice to get some input from others too. But to be honest they look new, looking at the upper right one it also looks very smooth. If they havent been cured and are just 'homemade' you dont really know what they might leech out and may well be the cause of that mad algae......

By the way I have nothing against people making or saving a bit of money making their own plugs but at least do it right especially if you are going to put them in other peoples systems.

Compare it to this one, purchased plug and then cured by myself and I know mine do not get algae growth like that to be honest. Obviously I havent attached any frags to it yet lol ;)

If it was me, and I might be wrong but I would be blaming the plugs I think.

Attached Files:

Camkha1234 likes this.
  12. Camkha1234

Now that I look, I see what you mean. All of my other plugs from different LFS's and vendors are really porous and seem to have a lot of texture on them. So what would you suggest I do? And how exactly did you cure yours?