calcium

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by mannyhernz, Oct 27, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. geoxman

geoxman Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I like reactors

2. Click Here!

3. calerpa

calerpa Plankton

What do you think of the American Marine calcium probe?

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Once you get corraline algae started, you can watch it grow fast by having proper lighting and strong water movement. A product called "Purple Up" at your local pet shop is awesome at producing coralline algae.(you need to have some corraline algae though for it to work.
    To be cautious when adding things to your tank like Kalkwasser, to be on the safe side add less that it says on the directions...

5. blue_eyes53813

blue_eyes53813 Flamingo Tongue

I agree 100%. Ive been in the hobby for 5 years and never dosed calcium. My coraline has been everywhere.. The tank needs to be seeded with it and it will take off on its own from there..

I did recently start dosing Kalk because I want more hard corals. I put 1 1/2 teaspons of kalk in 1 gallon of RO water. Let set for 24 and dose only clear liquid in the middle, not the top crust or bottom slugde. Drip very slow at night. Record daily records of ALK, Calcium, Salinty, and PH. You should be fine.

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

The other thing you have to be careful of is that nuisance micro algae!!!That can put a damper on corraline algae as well as corals. I just set up a refugium on my 75gal. tank, to hopefully eliminate micro algae with macro algae(caulerpa).