CALCIUM TO HIGH?!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Midnight_Madman, Sep 10, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

TAD,

What brand test are you using?

2. Click Here!

3. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

4. Craig Manoukian

Salifert has had some problems recently with the accuracy of their CA test kits. La Mottes are a much more accurate CA test kit in my experience, more accurate in all of their tests. You get what you opay for in testing.

5. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

ARe you using Oceanic Salt? That's what keeps mine up so high. I bought some Instant Ocean last night and for my next water change I'll be using half and half to cut down on my Ca.

Cindy

6. Midnight_Madman

Yes I have used Oceanic for the last year. Maybe thats part of the problem? I paid like $25.00 for that test kit... not cheap!

7. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

I also use Salifert.
    When I first moved my tank here I was having to use B-Ionic and I don't remember what salt. Whatever the previous owner was using. EVen before I switched to Oceanic it seems like my Ca was staying higher without much dosing. After changing to Oceanic I have never had to supplement at all because it is always over 500. I change my water weekly due to bad water paramaters and before I change my water out it is still around 500 or a tad lower. I've heard alot of complaints about Oceanic due to the higher Ca levels. I don't know if my water paramaters somehow contribute to keeping a high Ca level or not. I'm fixing to order new sand after i finish up here and hopefull after I get it replaced it will help out my other situation(high phophates and nitrates). Meanwhile I will be mixing Oceanic and Instant Ocean 50/50 so that my Ca won't be quite so high.

Good luck! ;)

Cindy

8. Click Here!

9. Midnight_Madman

Good idea, I will do the same next water change and see what happens. Is 700 harmfull? what can I do?

10. Craig Manoukian

Not cheap and may not be accurate.

11. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

There is nothing wrong with the test kit IMHO. The problem as Cindy suggested is the Calcium deposits in the testing tube. Rinse with some vinegar and then again with water. :)

John

12. Midnight_Madman

Ok Ill try it. It was only the second time using it, and I rinsed it out with tank water before using it.