Calcium Through the Roof!

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by ryanwolf, Jul 20, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ryanwolf

ryanwolf Skunk Shrimp

What is the purpose of that test?
    If it was so important... why wouldn't a kit called: reef masters, include it?
    That's messed up.

Anyway... does mag have anything to do with calcium... and if so ... do you think the two may be linked to the high ca?

2. Click Here!

3. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

My LFS never has the Mg test kit in stock. I don't know if they find it unnecessary or if they just sell more stuff when critters get sick and/or die (did I say that out loud?). Anyway, I ordered the red sea one...after giving up in frustration at not being able to find it.

It's important because it helps to maintain calcium and alkalinity at proper levels.

1 person likes this.
  4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

That would have been my first question also But at 660 its not that high really and the DKH at 10 is a tad on the low side of where I would run it Get the magnesium tested and correct I think you will find a problem there I'd guess at the 10 dkh and 660 Ca I say your mag is close to 600 ppm or so. if that high even . You just have a little ionic imbalance, Get the Mag to 1400 to 1500 PPm and the DKH up to 12 to 14 it will all fall into place with the calcium. Have look at some of these for the what does Magnesium have to do with Calcium and DKH.I myslef have written several post , almost books on the magnesium and what it does . As have many others here posted about what these three elemets do and how they interact with each otheri .

http://www.3reef.com/forums/search.php?searchid=146445

1 person likes this.
  5. ryanwolf

ryanwolf Skunk Shrimp

Tangster...

Love the post... great information on how mag effects ca ...
    However, the link posted is invalid... do you have another?
    How much should a mag test run? the red sea one for example...
    and say the mag is low... how do you raise it to lower ca and raise dkh?

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Epson Salt (yep the stuff your grandmother soaked her feet in) that you can get from Walmart will raise the Mg. I would raise it slowly though about 100 to 150 per day to keep from stressing thing out. Add one cup to your sump then test in about 4 hours to see how much it came up then you will know what to dose tomorrow.

7. ryanwolf

ryanwolf Skunk Shrimp

By raising the magnesium... calcium will lower...
    Seems a bit risky when live stock seem fine.
    I think I'm going to see how the carpet anemone soaks up the calcium ... will it?

8. Click Here!

9. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

nope. Best just get your MAG up so when something does go wrong tests will all be true ;)

1 person likes this.
  10. ryanwolf

ryanwolf Skunk Shrimp

Any suggestions on a mag test ... or do you think red sea is the way to go?
    How much?

Ryan

11. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Red Sea is what I use. I like it.

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Red sea is good they used to be very simple LOl but they changed that salifert is a good easy test , I use that one now I also have red sea . I also test mine with the seachem reef status kit reef test for Magnesium that also does the Carbonate and the percentage of Carbonates from (borates) :) Yes borates The boraxo Laundry booster who's usage gets some all in a dither about it being used . I test my Magnesium and borates several times a yr with that kit. Very very accurate.