Calcium Reactor vs. Kalkwasser

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Blade_Runner, Dec 20, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Hi,

My new advanced w/d has a chamber for a calcium reactor and a fresh water top off. I was and still may simply add Kalk to the tank via the f/w top off, but I have a buddy that swears by his reactor.

Does anyone have and real long term experience with a reactor? Are they worth the big $s or are they just an expensive toy?

Thanks,

Bruce

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Well, I think Jason here has one....hope he will chime in.

I do know that Kalkwasser offers the added advantage of precipitating phosphates from the water, helps pH, and helps Alkalinity.

Questions I might ask would be, if you have a calcium reactor, do you also need the CO2 reactor to maintain pH levels?

Could you fit a Kalk reactor in the same space? That might be an option as well.

;D

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

5. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Yeah, right now I'm rolling up on $3k on the replacement tank and feeling the pinch. At least for the short run, I'm going to stay with adding Kalk.

I'm not sure what brand he has. I only looked at it once. He is in Atlanta. It's in a 260 in his conference room. I'll be back there 1/20 and will look closer. The boy have more $ than he knows what to do with. Plus the tank was professionally set up and maintained so I assume it's top drawer.

6. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

BTW,

Thanks for the link. Good read.

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

No problem, let me know what you do. :)