Calcium Reactor Help.

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Servillius, Sep 27, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

okay, I'm about to drop the calcium reactor and go back to dosing pumps. Before I do I'd like to enlist the combined expertise around here and see if we can identify what I'm doing wrong.

I am sick of having to adjust the drip rate on my reactor almost every morning. Whatever I do, it slows over time causing my alkalinity to drop and making it very hard to get a good sense of what my corals are doing. In two days it'll go from 120 drops a minute to 60. It's been like this since I bought it months ago. I had similar problems dialing in CO2, but fixed those with a Carbondoser regulator.

I use a Korallin 3002 reactor.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Is the tubing new? Sounds like a possible build up of gunk in the lines. Consider replacing the lines if any evidence of calcium build up. . Can you tell if there is any calcium build up in the tubes? Or take tubes off and run vinegar through them in a bucket for a couple hours.
    If using a small pump take a part and give vinegar bath. If using a manifold consider switching to a dedicated pump.
    What are your normal alk calcium parameters? Higher alk can cause precipitation. Do you get calcium build up on your heaters or pumps? If running high alk try running alk 7-8 as there could be calcium build up in the tubing.

4. Servillius

My alk hovers around 135 ppm and it's been doing this since it was new. I've replaced the aqualifter feed pump and all the lines. It may be the regulator valve that's gunking up, but if that's it, it does it in a matter of a day or two.

5. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Hmm
    I know many people use those aqualifters for Calcium reactors successfully but I was always under the impression they are not meant for full time duty running continuously. I also thought they clog without those pre filters.
    I have never used one for this purpose so I have no idea really. It's just a thought here but if you're still have problems maybe try out one of the maxijets or cobalts.
    I have the Marineland maxi jet that is rated 110GPH. I have it modified on the outlet so some of the water coming out just goes right back in the sump chamber it sits in. That way it relieves the pump of stress as there is only a drip making it through the calcium reactor line. This pump seemed a little too cheap but has been running better part of the year. I may get a slightly better one next time around.
    Other than that I can't see how it would be possible for the drip rate to change as long as it gets somewhat clean water. Another reason I like filter socks.

Servillius likes this.
  6. Servillius

I actually have a little Sicce I've been saving for the purpose, but I can't find fittings to throttle it down to air hose size. I may try harder.

7. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I know what ya mean. I had to make mine home made style. Got a piece of small hose cut off to fit it. It's kind of Frankensteinish.
    I was surprised they don't make fittings for that specific purpose.
    There's a couple threads floating around the internet somewhere with photos.

Servillius likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Maybe adjust the pH instead? More concentrated effluent.

10. Xx__xX

Xx__xX Plankton

Mod your maxi jet to a john guest. The top hole allows pressure relief, So you don't over power you feed line.

[​IMG]

Then get your-self a pack of Two Little Fishes micro valves. Allows for precise drip rates.
    [​IMG]

Servillius and Billme like this.
  11. Servillius

12. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Do you have a pH probre in your reactor. I eventually had to add one to mine as the pH was RO low and melting the media faster than was being used. I'd check that and see if that was the problem. As for the feed pump I too had to change to a maxijet 600 for a more continuous flow as my peristaltic pump was failing to much for me. Just some ideas to think about.