calcium overdose.... HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by rlman41299, Nov 29, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rlman41299

rlman41299 Skunk Shrimp

1.026 with a refractometer.

2. Click Here!

3. offensetaken

offensetaken Montipora Digitata

First of all NICE adds. Very good selections ya got there. I'm glad the elegance turned around and is doing well. Maybe the crabs went into battle and didn't make it. It prob had nothing to do with your H20. We've all lost a few inverts over the years with no explanations.

4. TMWTim

TMWTim Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Glad it worked out and judging the pics your corals are really healthy, and beautiful!. I wouldn't worry too much when your Cal goes that high. Calcium is inert, to a point, and will be used/absorbed when needed. If anything some of the corals may have been shocked for a moment. I highly doubt it was a factor in the loss of the Sally. They tend to die for no reason.

5. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I can assure you calcium is not to blame. I found BRS calaulators to be spot on.

BRS also tells you how much you can raise each parameter per day. Forget now but Ca can be raised pretty quick. Alk is the one you need to be careful with.

You used the same amount for calcium and Mg, but did you use actual calculated water volume of your system, or did you use tank size to come up a with a figure?

Are you positive it is actuall crabs and not just a molt? I would have bet money before my crabs were dying but after digging them out is was only a molt.

6. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I agree with everyone that said "calcium is not the issue". I've had Magnesium and Alkalinity issues, being alkalinity the invert killer, but I've known people to run they Calcium at or around 600 at all times without any ill effects other than crazy coralline to scrape off the glass and a mono-toned pink shelled hermits.

What about your temp? Does your tank run pretty hot?

7. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

I too with all sincerity doubt that elevated calcium is the culprit here. However, understanding the effects of Magnesium Calcite on Calcium carbonate and Alkalinity is your key. I suspect that you dosed too much too quick causing a temporary swing in Alkalinity.

None-the-less here is a great read on the subject:

Chemistry and the Aquarium

My unsolicited 2 cents; don’t add anything new to your tank until you are sure its stable. You’re first post was in August, is your tank only a few months old? Might be a little young for that bubble coral.

8. Click Here!

9. rlman41299

rlman41299 Skunk Shrimp

thanks for the nice read. the tank actually is at least 2 yrs old fish only and was just recently converted to a reef. i have dosed magnesium days before the incident and dosed calcium a day before the incident. i didn't know that dosing mag and cal will raise alkalinity for i didn't dose alk since i was already at 11dkh.
    my last water parameters are all at par and i will do another test tonight to see where i am now. so far the tank is doin' fine a no more deaths :) crossing my fingers.

10. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

I agree- calc. didnt kill off anything. But I wonder if the issue is that the type of additive you are using contains other "stuff" that may have caused a problem? Are the tanks temps stabil?

From the pics you showed everything looks great, but I wonder why you are adding calcium at all?

Most water sources have what the average reefer needs already, this doesnt account for crazy sps/clam tanks, or aged tanks that have the necessity due to depletion.

A good brand of salt usually gives you all you need- no additives required- EVER. (perhaps a little iodine once in a great while)

EDIT: didnt see this-
    this will kill critters- esp. Softies and LPS. I'll bet you over dosed with mag.

11. rlman41299

rlman41299 Skunk Shrimp

I have laerned 2 things with this experience.
    1. I will have tofigure out the total water volume of my whole system. Anyone care to help me figure it out? :)
    2. I have to dose slowly and spread it out throughout the day.

The temp of tank is stable at 80.5.

12. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

1st off Nice adds...hope your elegance recovers.

2nd as others have stated I've had a sally lightfoot that died intact for no seeming reason.

Good Luck.