Urgent calcium off the charts help

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by blackreef13, Jul 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. blackreef13

blackreef13 Coral Banded Shrimp

thats what im starting to realize reef crystals has good levels and i added esstial elements which wasnt needed

2. Click Here!

3. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

10 is fine.. people are running between 8 and 12.
    The skimmer as you mentioned reduces elements in the tank.
    What size tank? how often do you do a water change and how much do you change?

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If what ever inverts or corals you have do not looked stressed than just test your water prior to adding it to the tank for Ca.

At this point no intervention is needed other than watching for significant signs of stress from your tank inhabitants.

I have seen Ca numbers higher than that, the high value did not happen over night.

As long as the alk is fine, just let it come down on it's own and test the next batch of SW before a wc.

5. blackreef13

24 gallon aquapod i change water once a week about 5 gallons and if not every two weeks and 10 gallons

6. blackreef13

my frogspawn was doing great two days ago and this morning its looking stress ill upload pics

7. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

ya depending on how often you dose the essential it could be the cause of your high calcium level.

Although I have heard that reef crystals does not have a very high calcium content.

Someone did a very thorough study of the different salt brands on here and how much calcium was contained. you should try to look for that thread. I will poke around myself and see if I can find it.

8. Click Here!

9. blackreef13

10. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

just fyi I bought a eshopps psk-75h for my 27gl a couple months ago and am very happy with it(this is a hang on model).

Not to sure what to say as you seem to have a sufficient water change schedule and amount in my opinion. I also do 5gl water change on my 27gl.

Like Corailline says just hold off on anything drastic, do your normal wc and check for calcium before adding.

Think about getting the skimmer. I only have a clown, yellow tail damsel and spotted goby (plus bunch of corals) in my 27 and you would not believe the skimmate I get every couple days.

The smaller the system the more dosing can effect things.

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Reef Crystals.

SG of 1.023 you should get around a Ca of 405 ppm.
    SG of 1.026 then 455.

If you have nothing to utilize the Ca like a lot of coralline algae, clams or sps then with a 5 gallon wc weekly in a 29 gallon tank you are going to see a higher Ca level.

I have a 28 gallon tank and use Reef Crystals, I do not dose for 4-5 days prior to a water change, because it drives up the Ca and Magnesium. I have a sps dominated tank that quickly utilizes the Ca so I am not surprised by your level. I do a wc bi-monthly of 10% and try to keep my Ca round 450.

12. blackreef13

thats my main goal saving for a skimmer and a rodi unit me being 15 i have to wait a year till i can get a job