Calanus - Another Coral Food From SICCE

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Jun 10, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Calanus is the latest coral food from SICCE hitting the stores this summer. Calanus has been made to sidecar SICCE's HyperKoral coral food of which I am a big fan. While HyperKoral covers the amino acids and vitamins, Calanus packs the protein and astaxanthin, a color-enhancing pigment. Calanus is short for Calanus finmarchicus, a 'highly nutritious' zooplankton from the arctic. This made me think of Cyclop-eeze so I pulled out a bottle of that noted similar numbers in protein. However SICCE tells me that Calanus has the edge in nutritional value and is color-enhancing. Time will tell. I am testing this out now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Calanus is coarser than Cyclop-eeze as shown in the pic above and could be a plus for fish feeding. Calanus also requires at least a 20 minute hydration time in water prior to feeding. No increase in size was noted. I guess I was thinking it would be like those sponge dinosaurs from the toy store. Regardless, my cardinal fish went nuts when I added Calanus to my aquarium. I look forward to noting any differences with my coral after some long-term feeding. I will report back.

Press Release:

Sicce Offers Complete Reef Feeding Program
    May 29, 2013
    For Immediate Release
    Knoxville, TN—Sicce-USA announces release of its new complete reef feeding program. The program consists of two products, Sicce HyperKoral and Sicce Calanus. Used together, these revolutionary products provide a total feeding regimen for both LPS and SPS stony corals, soft corals, and other marine filter feeders.

HyperKoral contains a proprietary blend of purified L-amino acids, vitamins, and carbohydrates in concentrations that mimic those found in the waters around natural coral reefs. By incorporating only purified L-amino acids, HyperKoral avoids the skimmer issues associated with other reef amino acid supplements that contain protein hydrolysates. Hydrolysates are a mixture of L- and D- amino acids, along with short peptide chains. The peptide chains are rapidly removed by skimming, while D-amino acids are not utilized by the vast majority of living organisms, and thus remain in solution to be decomposed by bacteria. HyperKoral’s exclusive formulation eliminates these components that are wasted anyway. Research has shown that amino acids are important in the production of colorful pigments that make corals so popular with hobbyists.

Calanus contains 100% pure freeze dried marine copepods harvested from the pristine waters of the Arctic Ocean. Rich in protein, lipids and minerals, Calanus also contains the color-enhancing pigment, astaxanthin. Besides being an ideal zooplankton food for marine invertebrates, Calanus provides wholesome nutrition for fish larvae and small fishes, both marine and freshwater, that require zooplankton in the diet.

Both products are stable at room temperature and need no refrigeration to retain their potency for up to a year. Together, they provide the first complete reef tank feeding program to include only two components.

HyperKoral and Calanus are available exclusively from Sicce Authorized Dealers. Visit Welcome to SICCE USA/Aquarium Products/Voyager/Syncra to find an authorized retailer near you.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Arcti-Pods were the first on the market to use Calanus finmarchicus, and not freeze dried. This product won't hold a candle, nutrition wise, to either frozen Cyclop-eeze or Arcti-Pods given its freeze dried. There is always loss with freeze drying.

Cyclop-Eeze has a higher astaxanthin content.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Good point on freeze-drying G.

There are some posts that I can count on some feedback from you. :)

matt