Byropsis

Discussion in 'Algae' started by bluetang08, Jul 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bluetang08

bluetang08 Purple Spiny Lobster

I have come to the conclusion that I have this horrid algae growing in my overflow. After much research it seems almost impossible to eliminate without doing serious damage to my coral (ie lights out or Mag raising) so my thoughts are to just leave it be. It grows pretty slow and I just remove it by hand when it gets too unsightly, and on a positive note it helps keep Nitrate at 0. Any downside to this? I havent noticed it spreading anywhere so hopefully it never does but I hve been battling it for over 6 mos now.

2. Click Here!

3. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

One of the biggest issues would be it spreading to the rest of the tank

4. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

That is the issue with algae, its unsightly and can over grow corals and take their light, but as you said, on the positive it does reduce your nitrates to nil.

Personally i would work on removing it, perhaps a UV filter on the return would destroy on spores getting into the main tank?

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Throw some of it in the fuge when you remove it. It might help keep out of the overflow.

1 person likes this.
  6. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

I killed my bryopsis with Kents M-Tech. It didn't damage any coral, just changed the colors of a few which is a small price for not having it take over your tank.

Slowly bring Mag up to around 1900ppm and that should do the trick.

7. Ultraner

Ultraner Purple Spiny Lobster

Awesome to hear this worked for you Whisky. I have read a lot of people have success with the kent M-tech, do you or anyone else know if there is a reason for this particular brand being so successful? I use the BRS 2 part dosing system so I have a lot of magnesium already and was wondering if this would be worth using or if there is a particular reason to use the kent.

8. Click Here!

9. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

I think it has something to do with the 2 types of Mg that are present. This is only hearsay, so I don't know or fully understand it myself. M Tech for whatever reason, works.

1 person likes this.