buying, transporting, and aquascaping cured live rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by vegasfish, Mar 14, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

I want to buy cured live rock from a local store. when I buy it how do I transport it home. does it have to be in water in a container. once home I want to aquascape it. I amusing 3/8" acrylic rods to stand it off the tank and to construct portions of the rock. how long can I have the rock out to work on it without it starting to die off.

I know I have a lot of questions and I thank everyone for the help.

2. Click Here!

3. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

you can get a foam cooler or they will give you one. wrap in newspaper or continually mist with SW. get in fast as can or when you get home put in a vat or bucket...........

4. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

do you know how long I can have the rock out while I am drilling and placing pieces together? do I need to keep spraying it? thanks

5. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

You could keep it in the newspaper for maybe half hour until major die off occurs. also, any hitchikers (mantis) would die quickly. if you can get rubbermaid tub and put saltwater in it while you work, it would be fine!

6. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

great thanks. I have my new tank and stand on order. should be here in about
    3 weeks. I have always had fresh water setups and I am a little nervous to start the salt water setup. I have been reading the new marine aquarium book by michael paletta. it has been a big help along with 3reef.com

7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

[​IMG]

To 3Reef!!!

Salutations! Glad to see you found way here!

Great to see a new reef going up.

If not traveling far, cover with wet newspapers in tub or chest as mentioned before.

Get into saltwater as soon as you can.

Don't get till new tank/stand in and you have filled with mixed water and warmed up to right temp.

Bring home rock and dump it in...

Sit back and watch stuff start to happen.

PS...get some good test kits and a refractometer.

i.e. On Sale Now - Drs. Foster and Smith

And as long as ordering that from them, get test kits and salt also. Probably way cheaper then at LFS. (Use him for buying fish/corals) - DFS's bases shipping cost on how much you spend, not weight. So Salt, Sand, etc a real bargin there.

Good luck!

Keep us posted~

Scott

[​IMG]

The Tao of Marine Aquaria
    Tips for Our Hobby and Life

© 1997 Adam H. Whitlock
    Edited By Elizabeth M. Lukan 11/25/00

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

This might be an exception and not a rule, I don't know, but when I bought my LR I put it in the bed of a truck in 20 degree weather and drove down the interstate for over an hour, kept it outside for another hour after that, then freshwater dipped it, then dumped it in my tank. Guess what?? The next day I found a snail hitchhiker!!! And the coralline survived fine, it is already growing on my base rock. I wouldn't worry about it at all!

Second thought... why not use all base rock and maybe even cure it yourself?? A lot cheaper and then you know what's going in your tank, just a thought! Buying LR or any cured rock is a HUGE waste of money, and might introduce tank-crashing parasites, IMO...

10. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

I never thought about that it could bring in parasites. The cost difference for cured and uncured for the amount I need is $80.00. I have never smelled a curing rock but from what it sounds like it could be pretty bad. So I thought for $80.00 it might be worth it. I will keep the suggestion in mind when it is time to make the purchase.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  11. sean_p_f

sean_p_f Sea Dragon

i would recomend buying your rock online as it seems most LFS's caint touch the prices of the internet (at least not in this area)

12. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

The parasites will always be there regardless of if you started with LR or Not. The trick to not getting parasites is getting beneficial creatures (neon gobies and cleaner shrimp) and keeping your livestock healthy! The parasites will come on corals, the rocks corals are on, the fish, and the eggs (as far as i know) arent affected much by FW dips. LR is a good thing to buy in the beggining of tanks life as it will cycle and speed up cycle of tank. And if you have keen eyes, you could even find some live corals on it as well! Especially on Florida Live Rock! after you have your LR invest in Base rock, which wont iniate a second cycle and will eventually grow over with coralline and become LR. Im actually going to LFS today to get about 30 pounds of base rock and maybe a piece or two of good LR.