Buying frags from petco

Discussion in 'Coral' started by SwimsWithFish, Dec 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

I travel an hour round trip to my saltwater LFS. They deal in reef aquariums period.

2. Click Here!

3. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Yeah I have one down the street that's good and a great one about 30-40min from my house.

4. SwimsWithFish

Alright so there's been many different opinions on this thread and to be honest, I'm a bit overwhelmed.:p so let's exercise our wonderful democratic rights and have a little vote. Here's the question:

Would it be safe to buy a frag from petco if it looks healthy and I dip it in coral rx before placing it in the tank?

Now please reply with a simple yes or no and a sentence or two backing up your answer.

5. gorillacrab

gorillacrab Astrea Snail

IMO petco frags are more expensive than mom and pop fish stores and the quality is hit or miss. The selection can be very slim as well. I did, however, get my pulsing xenia from petco. They were in rough shape and poor color, I also over paid big time, but they came back and have split several times. Worth a try if they have what you want.

6. DIY_Man

DIY_Man Plankton

Yes, If you treat the coral like any other coral that you buy, you should be safe.
    Purchase
    Dip
    Quarintine
    Then on to the display tank.

7. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Yes, observe the coral for anything out of the ordinary before buying just like you would do at any LFS.

8. Click Here!

9. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Yes. It is no different than buying a frag from anywhere else.

It is up to you as a hobbyists to do the research on the coral. When I say research I mean all inclusive: price, in store care, quarentine, dipping, acclimating, etc etc.

I dont care what store name is on the door, but if you buy a bad or sick looking coral, from a bad or sick looing tank and pay an arm and leg for it, thats your fault as a consumer.

10. SwimsWithFish

Thanks guys, I'll have to check out some petco frags. Do you have to quarantine Corals like fish? Because I don't have money to start another tank:( would just dipping be ok?