Buying frags from petco

Discussion in 'Coral' started by SwimsWithFish, Dec 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

So you wouldn't buy an ORA frag from petco? I would.

2. Click Here!

3. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Sorry brother I wouldn't. I do buy other stuff there just not livestock and frozen food. :)

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Epic Touch using Tapatalk.

4. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Fresh ORA frags are the only thing I'll touch. I love going in to my local Petco for a gander every so often after work wearing my work shirt and correcting petco employees. I can't wait to be banned from the store.

1 person likes this.
  5. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Ah granted I do have a QT. It would have to be really nice piece, maybe. Lol!

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Epic Touch using Tapatalk.

6. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Then bash the ignorant consumer. If they get out so be it. I see it more of a disgruntled consumer who's doing the bashing out of spite and their own ignorance. Sorry but it's naive to think you can trust someone who makes a living out of selling to NOT sell you something your asking for.

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I have been to two in my area. One is good and the other is not. My avatar coral was bought at Petco and I have a couple others also. I will only buy coral anywhere after carefully observing it. If it looks healthy and is a recent addition I will get it. Same goes for fish and inverts. The Petcos I have gone to have independent coral tanks. I definitely avoid their fish and inverts because of their tank systems and the maintenace of the systems. I will buy fish and inverts from them if they are in the shipping bag from their supplier. You will just need to learn what days their livestock arrives.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  8. Click Here!

9. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

So why not leave it at this. If you truely beleive you are not bashing, then you wouldn't say anything else about Petco. You can even leave Petco out of it. It i alright to tell people to second guess what employees at the LFS have to say, but there should really never be any reason to bash an entire store. Have you contacted Petcos corporate office? If not, then maybe you should.
    Mozilla/4.0 (BREW 3.1.5; U; en-us; Sanyo; NetFront/3.5.1/AMB) Boost SCP6760

10. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

People bash petco, simply because its a chain. Its a big target to go after. Truth be told there isnt a LFS out there that hasnt had a tank with ich, or had a fish die. Same is even true with all the online vendors. You cant tell me that LA, DD, or anybody else has never had a fish DOA somewhere between collection and the final owner. Petco just like a LFS or local pet store highers regular people off the street, with that comes limited knowledge. So with that said they very less than likely have a marine biologist on staff. The truth be told the fish section managers prior experience was owning a fish tank so its really just a chance that someone working there has hobby expereince working with the livestock.

11. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

i bought a cichlid to go with my already up and running tank last year, basically killed everything in my tank because the new fish had ick. I never buy fish from petco anymore, i order some stuff online from them but thats about it

12. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

just because 1, or even 5 petcos are bad doesnt mean that they all are bad. i have bought quite a bit from them and not had any issues, that werent my fault. on that note be smart and dont buy something that doesnt look healthy.

on a side note, i was in my local petco just the other day and saw they had a pink birdsnest on hold. i asked about it and the manager got all excited and was like hey i will order you in one. what color do you want? and all that. so i have a pink birdsnest coming in tommorrow i think.