Button polyps

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Ishymishy77, Mar 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

oh thats not good you have regular t5 not t5 ho(high output).

you have 1/6 the necessary lightings. with those lights nothing that photosynthesises will live in your tank.

but now you know when buying a fixture look for one with around 300 watts

2. Click Here!

3. Ishymishy77

Ishymishy77 Peppermint Shrimp

4. Ishymishy77

thank you, any suggestions as to where to get some at reasonable prices. (don't really want to give my Lfs any more dough)

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i would recommend you buy your lighting online if the lfs can't supply your needs.

try marinedepot.com or hellolights(there better for retrofit kits.)

6. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

You say no coral, button polyps are coral. They will break up, it depends on how they are held together. I bought a nice colony of about 30 polyps and they were only held together by what looked like substrate and small rocks that they affixed themselves to. After placing them mid way up in the tank to stick out from the rock (looked nice) they started dropping off in clumps of 4-5 polyps and started a new bunch. Lfs did steer you wrong about the Anemone. The light upgrade was wise. Also, Coral Banded Shrimp will mess with Coral and I would not keep one.

7. Ishymishy77

Thank you for replying, I did get schooled on the lighting. Went back to the Lfs and rechecked what I had bought. I actually do have the the T5 56 watt HO lights but it is just one day 6700k and one atinic. I am still picking up my 254 watt unit tomarrow. ( I am a little excited) And when I bought the polyps he failed to mention that they need food other then light. Which I bought today. Anything else that I should know?

8. Click Here!

9. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

Should do much better under this lighting, i had 222watts over a 55, and for some reason i still could not keep an anemone, as for the polyps, mine multiplied from 2 to over 60 in a couple of months and i never fed them once by hand, they are mostly photosynthetic, and under the right lighting this is all they should need...

10. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

They will do that at times, besides they aren't very much light demanding, but you only have 108 watts total, and how are they? have you try to target feed them? do they open up? maybe they aren't getting enough nutrients, If they do open up try some flake food or anything pellets etc, what ever! and see if they grab it, but if your light are as old as your tank, you definitely need an upgrade asap!

11. Ishymishy77

Actually the lights are only about two months old. Lfs hasn't been the most helpful. They said those would be sufficiant for the anemone and the polyps.lol, When I called yesterday about the new lights they weren't in yet, they said today. We will see, not sure I am going to make that trip in the blizzard we are having today.
    The polyps are opening and yes I picked up some DT's and they seem to be doing much better. Moved them a little closer to the lights as well. Anemone is being a little stubborn about eating, keeps spitting everything out. He still don't have any tenticles though, just little nubs.

12. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

I have to agree, the anemone needs a lot of light, I mean a lot!