Burning my green star zoos?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by laf-n-gas, Sep 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. laf-n-gas

laf-n-gas Astrea Snail

My zoo's are starting to turn white on the frindges I will add a pic if needed.

55gal
    T5 HO's 240watt with 6500k x3 and 11000k x1
    1300gph wave maker
    600gph canister
    80deg
    water is dead on

my shrooms look great. I only have a dottieback,maroons,firefish,seabe,peppermint and emerald crab. Great green alge growth.

What gives?:confused:

2. Click Here!

3. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

You have three 6500K's and an 11000k?? could it be that too much red spectrum light is burning the zoas? how big is the tank, and how close are they to the lights? also, how old are your bulbs?

I would love to see a FTS with all the lights on.

~Will.

1 person likes this.
  4. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

Great green alge? never heard of alge being great lol how longs the tank been set up? When was the last time you cleaned out the canister? Pics would be great in this situation. When you say water is dead on what are your nitrates?

5. laf-n-gas

laf-n-gas Astrea Snail

The stars are about 15in down and Nitrates are less than 10ppm Do I have to much low K lighting? This is my first reef tank after 20 years of FO tanks. I have been letting the tank alge up some since I plan on getting a Tang or two soon. This tank is only 6months old but was cycled with some rock/crushed coral from my fish only grouper/stone tank. There are lots of feathers and the x-mas corals are all out, I also have some watermellon shrooms that are small but are happy too.

Thanks for the fast replies!
    I am new to this site.
    Love it!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  6. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

You need to replace those 6500k lights with some actinic lights to supplement the phtosynthetic zooxanthellae in your zoas or else they will likely die

1 person likes this.