"burning" live rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by bmshehan, Jan 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Look you can talk it to death But bleach like ozone is so unstable that a in a few hr. of exposure to sun light and or air its totally gone and all that will remain is the alkali base . I have don't this a million times and we do it all the time at the shop on sand and rock and all of our work equipment. Thats why in a pool it needs to be added all the time.. I use the backing soda to just equalize the the P.H of the bleach.
    You can do what ever you want But I know this is the best way i ever found and I always wash out a tank with bleach . Its just chlorine its not like dumping Vodka intoa a living system. I have seen ovens and microwaves to bust open the rock from steam pressure.. But I used this very same method for the last 180 here and I'd dare say its as nice and any one here has.. Except maybe Otty's and Janson :) I have never had anyone to say that they found a better way.. People just can't stand simple anymore..

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

theres no need to get defensive or probmatic tangster. and just because you say something doesnt mean its the only way and the best way. there are many ways of doing things, and they were just ideas and suggestions.

the only problem i have is the rock will suck up the bleach, and we all know bleach kills. even after soaking in fresh water after treatment, there should be some bleach left over inside the rock. its a matter of physics. my question to you tangy, will this leach out at a later date and cause a problem?

1 person likes this.
  4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I'm not getting defensive in the least . I after 50 yrs in the building trades and 30 plus yrs of my own mechanical construction company and from the old school I found words to just be a waste of time and money.

It matters not to me how anyone does anything and what I offer here is for Free and to many thats all its worth. But again being old school and being one of the very first hobbyist to be into saltwater as a kid in the 50's We had to make everything and reuse everything.. From hard to get rocks and dry beach sand right from the Va beach area we had to figure out how to sterilize it to use.. My grandfather hit up on the bleach stuff wile keeping and breeding then hard to keep F/w fish He had used this method for many yrs as well in drinking water wells via drip dosers ,

The amount of chlorine in household Bleach is so weak that it will dissipate with in a few minuets once exposed to air and U/V of sunlight .. Its just the base left.. I have had more then a few to try this and its never harmed a thing I do it every time I set up using any rocks to just be sure there are no microbes or pathogens hanging around .. Like I said its free advice take it or leave it. Like I said I find words to be just talk and I'm no lawyer so they are a waste of time to me. ;D I may come across as blunt or rude ? I'm not really I just say what I say offer what I know after a few million uses to work and pass it on for free . Foe what its worth

1 person likes this.
  5. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

im not questioning your experience or knowledge. and im glad your on this site with others that have the same background to help others. which is the same reason why im here.

p.s. i dont have time to put vodka in an aquarium, im to busy drinking it.

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

LOL Its like gutting a deer or peeling a rabbit or squirrel after you do a few hundred you figure out a easier way .. Experience taught me the best places to cut :) And what not to cut LOL I just pass on only methods that have been tried and tested over many yrs and I know they work and are totally safe for myself and all who ever tied them .

I'm a Bourbon man myself and Its really hard to find my brand here in Yankee land so I have it sent or brought by family and I won't waste that on a damn corals LOL Its mine . I'm sure I come across as Blunt or short and I am :) even more so when I hurt ): But anything I'd offer for advice if one tried it they will see how simple and effective it is. I'm just a simple old country boy . Hated English classes , rather had been plinking cans or fishing .

But I never men to sound rude or defensive I'm not I say and offer what I do and people can take or leave it . But if they try what I'd sugguest they may be amazed of the eaze of how it works.

7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Amen on that one.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

Er why all the concern about the rock

HI,
    was it covered with aptasia or what.
    I tried his one time and it worked perfectly for me, I saw a single aptasia peeking out of the center of a live rock covered with stars and other nice softies, I hated to cook it , SO I pulled the entire rock out all the coral pulled into their night mode.
    And took a q-tip and dipped it in pickling lime right out of the jar, I the coated the entire aptasia with pickling lime the base and around the beast( with the kalkwauseer powder), that aptasi pulled it self back into the rock and was never seen again.
    the kalk hung around for a few days on the rock were it pasted on the aptasia.
    One time isn't a good experiment, but it was simple it didn't kill any of my softies and may have added a pinch of calcium to the water column.;D
    DOug

10. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

tangy you never answered my question all you did was ramble on about what you have to offer. of course bleach works for you, it kills. we use silicone, weld-on 16 and other products that maybe more harmfull than the bleach. but is there a possiblility that even after rinsing with clean water that there is residual components of bleach or bleach itself that could possibly leech into the tank?

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

So as not to ramble "NO" it will not harm anything .. This methoed has worked for all who have tried it.. Take it or leave it I'm done with this dead horse.

12. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

My thoughts exactly. With all the time and money that goes into one of these tanks I can wait 12 weeks to know the LR is clean of all unwanteds. I must admit when starting out I found it hard to wait 6 weeks for my tank to cycle. LOL

My how a little time and experience changes ones point of veiw!